PH placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DurTBear

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just hopping on board this thread...I have a 25 gal tank and eventually want to have a reef. I am wondering how people position their PH's. I currently have them on opposite sides of the tank pointing slightly upward and toward each other.

That's fine, some also aim them towards each other at a central point in the front or back of the tank. As long as you have good surface ripple and around 15-20 times tank turnover your doing fine.

tecwzrd said:
As long as you have good surface ripple and around 15-20 times tank turnover your doing fine.

I totally agree. Esp. the surface aggitation.

tecwzrd said:
That's fine, some also aim them towards each other at a central point in the front or back of the tank. As long as you have good surface ripple and around 15-20 times tank turnover your doing fine.

When you say 15-20 times tank turnover does that mean that if I have a 40 gallon tank my total gph for all of my powerheads should equal 600-800 gph?

Yes but it includes all movement i.e. from sump pumps or HOB filters also if you have that.

For a 40 gal two 1200 Maxi-Jet ph (which do 295 gph) would be enough for example.

I usually set them up on each side of the tank, one towards the front and one towards the back. It creates a circular flow in the tank.

Pump 1------>

<----------Pump2

I like'm pointing at each other also - instead of the same/circular motion. Crashing them creates better ripples on the surface IMO. It also creates a more random, chaotic flow in the tank which is better for inhabitants and stirring updead spots in the rocks.

Austinsdad,

How high up the tank do you position your PH's? I think mine are about 2/3 of the way up at the moment.

Mine are maybe 4" from the top of the 155g. Affixed with magnet hoders. Still get plenty of ground level agitation if I turn'm up to over 50% power. It will move sand a lot if I let'm. yep both at the same height, but the crashing takes care of a lot of ground.

Hmm - only using 50% power. :? Wondering why I spent so much for'm anyway. Oh yeah, cause of the controller feature. Love that part. :p

Thanks Austindad. Ok, I'll probably leave mine where they are. Seems to generate ample surface agitation as well as ground level agitation. I can see grains of sand getting blown around. I have a maxijet 900 and 1200 but I don't think I can adjust power (unless there's a way to do it that I don't know about). That would have been a nice feature to have.

Back
Top Bottom