ph problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

USMCfishcrzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 125g tank. No matter wat I have used I cannot get it to go above 6.2. I don't have driftwood. I have used ph up both liquid and powder. I have two emperor 400s and two sponge filters. And help or pointers would be great.

Have you tested your tap? If there isn't anything in the tank lowering it, its probably that low out of the tap.

What kind of fish do you keep? Most people would be grateful to have a pH like that.

If you really wanted to try to buffer it and possibly raise it up a little, you could put some crushed coral in a filter bag and stick it in your filter...but when you do water changes, it might be stressful on the fish if the tap is alot lower than the tank. I feel like the crushed coral keeps the pH more stable than the pH up.

Welcome to AA. :)

My tap is around 7.6. I just didn't know if that it would be harmful to my fish. I have Angelfish. Gourmies rams pictus cats pleco and some rams.

I've heard dis us like a low Ph. But id rather know why it was low rather than take it for granted. Discus are to expensive and beautiful for that

That is very interesting. What is your substrate? And have you tested tap water that has sat for around 24 hours? Sometimes there is a difference.

The fish you have should be fine in that pH and probably appreciate it too. :) I wouldn't do any large water changes though, as that might stress them out.

How much water do you usually change and do they seem to act strangely?

Yes, Discus like a low pH but they might be a little more sensitive to the pH changes when you do water changes.

Yes I let it set over night. I have small gravel mixed with plant substrate. I was having the problem with Ph even when I had just gravel.

I usually change 20% every week and they don't act different at all. I clean my filters out every other week and vacuum gravel the opposite weeks.

I really can't think of anything that would affect the pH...besides the plant substrate, depending on what it is. But that is irrelevant if it was this low before you added that.

I wouldn't worry if they aren't acting strange during water changes.

Have you ever tested your KH (carbonate hardness)? If that is really low, it can cause pH swings because that is the buffer. That is really the only thing I can think of that might be making the pH low.

Either way, I'd love for my tanks pH to be that low...I mostly keep fish that like a low pH. :)

So would it be better to just keep it that low.

And I wanted to make it all planted will the Ph effect the plants?

Most plants will grow better in a lower pH vs a higher one. If it made you feel better you could put some crushed coral in the filter to help buffer the pH...and it would probably raise it a little bit. That would help it get closer to the tap pH. I wouldn't go crazy though...maybe a handful or 2 in a filter bag.

I personally would just leave it.

Hi Mr pro, can't imagine why your tank water ph is so low while your tap water is 7.6, 6.2 is very low, but if your fish are happy with that leave it be, changing it would stress your fish, specially Discus. good luck. keep us posted. let us know how things are going.

Pete

mr.pro1987 said:
Thank u for the help. I'm really liking to have good advice this easy

Hi mr pro.
I also suggest to leave it as is. Looks like your fish already adapted to your actual pH, so if they are doing fine why changed?
Remember, as long as your pH is stable, your fish would adapt to it, what is worst, as mentioned above, is to have a pH that change constantly.

Good luck!
:)

If you wanted to raise your ph slightly and keep it stable you could get some kh generator and add it slowly. That way you could ever so gradually increase your ph and buffer your water to keep it stable. You could get it a little closer to your tap water ph, would make it easier at pwc time. Otherwise as others have said, if your fish are fine just leave it.

So far even with water changes the fish haven't had a problem. The only thing I have noticed is our of six platies none of the have breed at all. From past experience that's really unusual. And yes they are mixed male and females.

Back
Top Bottom