ph value

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is the current ph value and what fish are you keeping? Also, did you test for Kh and Gh?

[center:edc8c29881] :smilecolros: Welcome to Aquarium Advice linea!! :n00b: [/center:edc8c29881]
Once you answer Brian's Qs, we can be of more help :D

CO2 is only used in planted tanks, though it does lower pH. We generally achieve a lower pH with peat in the filter. Fluval sells peat in packages for about $8.

I would say peat, wood, if its a planted tank the decaying plant matter will eventually lower it. But it really depends on what fish you want.

My current ph is a little less then 8.5. I live in the city and I couldn't get any natural soft water that is chemically clean. So, I boiled a water from the pipe and put it in tank after a few days. I know that it will be very hard to get good quality of water, but I hope I'll find the way. Last time I was thinking about some mineral waters that I could buy. There are some waters that does not contain any mineral in high concentrations. So, maybe I could put that water when I'm changing one part of water in tank. :roll:
BTW, I intended to keep only plants in my tank, but things got more complicated because I have two little kids. So, my brother bought them two angelfish and six neon tetras without asking for any permission :/
I am not the one who would "release them into the wild" through the bathroom's toilet, so I would like to keep them alive and healthy.

Ouch, that is high. And I bet your hardness is through the roof too :( Unless you want to buy RO water every time you do a water change, then you should stick with fish that like high pH. What size is your tank? Fish from Lake Malawi and Tanganyika love that high pH. You could do a Mbuna community, or a Breeding group of Neolamps (IME very easy fish to breed). Or you could even do fronts if your tank is big enough.

Try the peat in the filter and see if that helps. Sorry to hear about getting fish when you didn't want them. The neons are picky about water quality and may not make it. Angels tend to be a bit hardier. All will benefit from plants.
If you did want an aquarium with fish, there are fish that love your pH. In the meantime, stick with what you were originally going to do with the plants.

imho (h = humble) I'd try to avoid using Peat, driftwood, etc for this purpose. I know alot of members love this method but it can present problems especially for those who are new to the hobby.

Peat, driftwood, etc. will not have an immediate impact on your PH value and actually might do very little if the buffering capacity of the water is high enough. With a natural PH of 8.5 I'm guessing the KH levels are quite high. Over time peat will lower your PH but what happens when its time to do water changes? You will be adding back the same very high PH water which can cause PH swings. Not to mention your water will still be very "hard". Those more experienced at using Peat, driftwood are aware of these issues and are knowledgable enough to get around them (e.g. only performing small water changes, pre-treating change water with peat, etc.) I just don't think using peat, driftwood, etc. is a good option for those new to the hobby and would only recommend them for a more advanced aquarist. Just an opinion.

As such I'd recommend a few alternatives for you:

1 - Give the fish back and choose fish that already like your parameters. As said by a few others already this is the best option and will present you with the fewest hassles. Many of the fish that like your parameters don't get along well with plants though so this option might not fit your needs.

2 - You can become a mad chemist and come up with a mixture of your tap water and reverse osmosis/distilled water (you can buy this at the supermarket) that is best suited for your fish. I'd start by using 1/4 tap water and 3/4 reverse osmosis/distilled water and go from there. If your tank is small enough this might not become such a big hassle and you'll be able to keep the fish you have.

3 - You can use pure reverse osmosis/distilled water and simply use products such as R/O Right to add the necessary trace elements and such. This is easier than option 2 but will cost a bit more.

Anyway... just some thoughts to chew on. Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom