pH wont go down...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RamCichlidLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have been trying to lower the pH of my 30 gallon tank for the past 2 weeks with no success. no matter what i do the pH is at 8.3! i have 2 filters: one is my main filter (aquaclear70) and the other is a smaller, used one (old version of wisperer30) that i use for my peat moss. i put peat in the filter bag of my wisperer30 insted of carbon.
does anyone know why the peat moss hasnt lowered the pH at all or why the pH is so high?
THANKS! :wave:

Your tap water is most likely high in PH. Try adding some drift wood also. It lowers PH. I don't know much about peet moss so I can't really help you there.

How are you testing? Test your tap as well.

i tested it before and i know its high but i forget exactly what it is. im going to go test the tap and leave some out to test tomarrow.

What type of testing kit are you using?

If your tap pH is 7.4, but your tank pH is 8.3, then something you added to the tank is making the water more alkaline. Did you test any rocks you may have added with vinegar to make sure they won't change the water chemistry? What decorations do you have in the tank?

Do you add "aquarium" salt? Or any other additives?

502418.jpg

I used this

Problem solved. Gradually back off the salt and then test. It really isn't needed unless treating for a specific purpose. Opinions vary though.

The pH of my water straight from the tap is 7.4. after i leave it out for a day the pH becomes 8.3! the same as my tank!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom