photographing your aquarium..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
$306 (with S/H) is the best I can find right now too - unless you get lucky bidding on ebay.

I'm surprised the prices fluctuate this much.

I have a fuji finepix s5000 as well. Kicks butt, both the photo instructors at the CC where i work were impressed with it when I got it last year at $325.

As for tips:

Use a flash, but don't shoot dead on. Angle your shot so you don't get just a flash reflection.

Turn off all the lights in the room and use a light directly above the tank.

Use something to steady either your hands/arms or the camera.

Either use the macro setting or sit back a bit and zoom in if you have optical zoom ( praise the 10x on the s5000!).

Take lots of pics. Out of 30 or 40 I take at once, I get 3 or 4 keepers (in focus and I can recognize what it is), of which maybe 1% are truly great.

Some digital cams have a feature where they will take several pictures with each push of the button. Works great for high-motion shots, usually one of the group is right on.

If you aren't interested in printing large pics, try taking some video and just grabbing a frame out of it. Works great for pictures destined to only be viewed on a monitor or TV.

Here's a pic of the only fish I've named, a Columbian shark I was lied to about by a lfs (which is why I bought it). I named him Immelman from his weird behaviour of doing an Immelman turn and crusing around the top of the tank as if it were the bottom. Pic was taken from below looking up to the underside of the surface.

Attachments

• immelman.jpg
    immelman.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 72
id10t said:
Here's a pic of the only fish I've named, a Columbian shark I was lied to about by a lfs (which is why I bought it). I named him Immelman from his weird behaviour of doing an Immelman turn and crusing around the top of the tank as if it were the bottom. Pic was taken from below looking up to the underside of the surface.

cool picture!! what do you mean the lfs lied to you about the shark? anyway, that's neat. and thanks for sharing your photo tips. I'm still learning....... :roll:

My only consern with the Fuji FinePix S5100 is the ISO rating.. it only goes up to 400.. Should I be conserned by this... I could get a Fuji FinePix camera that has a wider range (100-800) but the closest model I have seen is the Fuji FinePix S5700 and it is quite a bit more expensive.. 428 with S&H (or get a refurb. for 394).. But it also has 6 MP but only a 6X optical zoom.. ACK!!! :(

I didn't know the s5100 only went up to iso400. The iso800 on the s5000 is not impressive. The engineers knew the photos would be very "noisy" so they limited the iso800 setting to 1 megapixel to prevent this.

Using my s5000, I take my aquarium pics in iso400.

id10t...
Do you remember what settings you used on the camera with the picture you posted?
Did you use the camera in manual mode or a automatic mode?

I use all auto for the pics I take, only changing between macro mode and regular, the pixel quality of the image, and whether to use flash or not.

As for the lying LFS, they said the Col. shark was a mad tom catfish, wouuld only grow to about 4" long, and was fine in a tank with small other fish. Truth is, they will eat anything that fits in their mouth, they need brackish water, and they get close to 2 feet long...

Back
Top Bottom