picked up a 210 gallon tank. need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Possibly dosing but it would depend on water changes and you'd have to see how much calcium/alkalinity is used

leds came in. i got the 165watt evergrow leds on ebay. packaged very well and appears to be made well. they are stupid bright!!

does anybody have these inside their canopy? trying figure out which way i want to attach them inside..

also, the tank came with a glass cover that goes on top of the tank. should i put those back in or no?

You are going to want the tops of those fixtures far enough away from the top of the canopy so you can adjust the intensity, and so the fans aren't obstructed. I suggest cutting holes in the top of the canopy and either sitting the fixtures on top, or mounting them flush with the top so that you can reach over and adjust them. Obviously the sides can't be obstructed either, because that's where the air exhausts from, but you could use this as a dual purpose- To cool the fixture, and also bring fresh air into the canopy.
I would not use the glass tops.

You are going to want the tops of those fixtures far enough away from the top of the canopy so you can adjust the intensity, and so the fans aren't obstructed. I suggest cutting holes in the top of the canopy and either sitting the fixtures on top, or mounting them flush with the top so that you can reach over and adjust them. Obviously the sides can't be obstructed either, because that's where the air exhausts from, but you could use this as a dual purpose- To cool the fixture, and also bring fresh air into the canopy.
I would not use the glass tops.

thank you very much for chiming in. i'd want the cutting part to be the last resort. im open to it but i'd rather not you know? its a very nice mohagony wood. i remember you said through pms that it should be 10'' away from the water. im looking at 6 1/2'' clearance from led to water without cutting, and 2'' clearance from canopy led fan. would that be enough? the canopy has two fans and the back part is open. i assume thats enough airflow? the led has 3 fans in it as well.

also, should i put some kind of mesh cover on the open back part of the canopy(since its open) to prevent fish from falling out incase they've seen finding nemo?

im glad i went full spectrum. ive seen full spectrum vs white/blues only at lfs's and i prefer the look of the full spectrum. just one of those to each your own things.

As long as they aren't getting splashed with salt water the distance is ok, providing your optics don't make it look like 2 spotlights.
Yes, if you want you can add some pond netting or something to keep jumpers in.

As long as they aren't getting splashed with salt water the distance is ok, providing your optics don't make it look like 2 spotlights.
Yes, if you want you can add some pond netting or something to keep jumpers in.

ok thanks. they are 90° with optical lens. have 3 of em like you recommended. should be fine right? haha

wont be able to tell about the water splashing till i get the powerheads. not a lot of water movement right now.

Oops,....yeah..you need 3. It's plenty of light. You'll just have to see how the optics look over the tank.

update : lights are mounted and works. they're pretty nice. a lot more white than the ones i saw in the lfs which is actually nice. with the dials (blues,white+other colors) turned at the same intensity, the tank has a cool white look to it which is awesome.

had to buy heaters since the one that came with the tank isnt as good. always turning on/off has only brought the temp up to 64degF at the most. so i picked up two 300 watt jager heaters. gotta figure out how to mount those since they are pretty long.

on to my questions:
could i have the blues 10% brighter than the whites/other colors? kinda liking the blue look a lot.

if not, i could go buy some actinic blue led strips and get those on top to get more blues. would that also be ok?

what % of brightness of blues/whites+colors for reef?

still no fish yet. api test kit has not come yet.

pics to come when my inside glass cleaners come in from the mail. the glass inside the tank is quite dirty..

edit : thinking of running a refugium as well as the skimmer. what size tank would i need to run one? i have a 210 gallon reef that i am setting up for those that do not read the 1st post or title. lol

Last edited:
Yes, you can turn the white channel down and keep the blue up at 100% if you like. I have mine at 100% blue, and about 50% white over my tank.
As far as the refugium goes, as big as you can fit. There is no standard for this.

Yes, you can turn the white channel down and keep the blue up at 100% if you like. I have mine at 100% blue, and about 50% white over my tank.
As far as the refugium goes, as big as you can fit. There is no standard for this.

Thanks man! Time to read up on refugiums. I know there are countless sources for begginer corals. But what would u recommend? Looking for the neon,colorful, begginer corals.

Zoas/palys come in pretty much every color you can imagine and are a pretty easy coral. Most softies are easy (ricordea are my personal favorite softie), you can also look at some hardy lps like frogspawn, hammers, Duncan's, and trumpets all make good beginner corals IMO.

Zoas/palys come in pretty much every color you can imagine and are a pretty easy coral. Most softies are easy (ricordea are my personal favorite softie), you can also look at some hardy lps like frogspawn, hammers, Duncan's, and trumpets all make good beginner corals IMO.

Thnks for the advice!

Would I need to start dosing if I get lps? Im not quite ready yet for that. Still has more stuff to buy. Lol. Powerheads for one would run me 400-500. Ricordia looks awesome.

Thnks for the advice!

Would I need to start dosing if I get lps? Im not quite ready yet for that. Still has more stuff to buy. Lol. Powerheads for one would run me 400-500. Ricordia looks awesome.

No even with a bunch of sps you wouldn't need to dose until they start turning into small colonies

Sounds good! I'm a huge Duncan coral fan. Fast grower and beautiful swaying polyps

Sounds good! I'm a huge Duncan coral fan. Fast grower and beautiful swaying polyps

yep. gonna add that to the list! thanks again!

i know i could search this, but oh well.
how often should i change the water? and what % do i take out?

also, im gonna be getting my auto top off soon. now, would i need a heater on the auto top off reservoir (40gallons of rodi)?

edit: also on my tank, the right side gets sunlight when the blinds are open. would that be problem? should i plasti dip just that side as well? its only facing a wall anyway.

yep. gonna add that to the list! thanks again!

i know i could search this, but oh well.
how often should i change the water? and what % do i take out?

also, im gonna be getting my auto top off soon. now, would i need a heater on the auto top off reservoir (40gallons of rodi)?

edit: also on my tank, the right side gets sunlight when the blinds are open. would that be problem? should i plasti dip just that side as well? its only facing a wall anyway.

I'd try to do weekly wc of 15-25%. Um for the ato it depends how much you're losing. A gallon of cooler water a day isn't gonna change the temp but 5-10 could. It wouldn't hurt. I'd try to block as much sunlight as possible. It may not affect much or it could aid in nuisance algae.

Back
Top Bottom