Picking out a filter for a 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dotswithchemicals

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm looking into for getting a 55 gallon aquarium in a few weeks when I've got the cash and I'm wondering about filters... which are the best out there? I personally admire the bio-wheel filters because they seem the best to have.. but is it about the same to have a, for example, simple tetra filter? What else is there so I can expand my wantings when looking for an aquarium? I'll be using craigslist, probably, so it'll be the cheaper route...

And for a filter cartridge, how many times a year is it proper to change it out? I was gonna do it every month but I saw where you should only change it when its falling apart; so a few times a year? Is that true or should I stick to around once a month?

Aquaclears are the best hob filters. The biowheels aren't any more effective than any other filter media, really just a gimmick to sell the filters. The aquaclears use sponge blocks that will literally last for years. Just rinse them out when you do weekly partial water changes, and replace them when they are actually falling apart.
I ran 2 70's on my 55's, but they were heavily stocked.

I personally have the bio-wheels for my 55g (emperor 400) and 10g (penguin 150). The filter is nice but I already experienced problems with it after the first two months, the impeller started to rattle. It could be my fault that some sand might have gotten in, but Mairneland sent me two free impellers so now it seems like new. I never had any sort of ammonia spike, my water clears up quick. The bio wheels are somewhat a gimmick but they do really work with soft water opposed to hard water.

But if I had the option, I might have gotten an aquaclear 110 instead. It just seems to be recommended by everyone.

It depends what you want to do in the tank.
No live plants or low light plants with no CO2 injection then any HOB filter rated at four to six times your water volume per hour will work fine. Pick one that has the features you like, there are many to choose from.
If you are going into planting with higher light and CO2 injection then a canister filter would be best.

It depends what you want to do in the tank.
No live plants or low light plants with no CO2 injection then any HOB filter rated at four to six times your water volume per hour will work fine. Pick one that has the features you like, there are many to choose from.
If you are going into planting with higher light and CO2 injection then a canister filter would be best.

I do wish to have a planted tank! Right now I have real plants with my 20 gallon bio-wheel filter.

Canister filter, eheim classics or fluval -- dead silent, good filtration. I've never used any other type of filter, but I can't imagine anything being better.

You can get a used 2217 (way more than enough) for 80 bucks, 2215 for probably 50-60, and 2213s run 30-40. All used of course.

IMO, there is no need to spend money on a canister filter for any tanks under 75g. I am currently running a AC110 on my 55g. And couldn't be more happy.

There are some benefits of canister filters and I ran one on my 55g tank. I had a Rena XP3 which had a spray bar attachment that I used to send filtered water from the bottom of one end of the tank down to the other end to create a sort of natural sweeping effect. This made gravel vacuuming less frequent. Also, the XP3 had media trays that could be filled with anything from foam pads, to ceramic rings, to ammonia absorbers, to carbon, etc. It was also relatively quiet too. Ultimately, I sold it in favor of sponge filters, which are cheap, do a poor job at removing stuff from the water, but they provide media for benefical bacteria to grow on and they help aerate the water. I decided that the XP3 didn't fit the need for what I wanted the filter to do and since I was growing out discus in the tank, I was changing 50% of the water every other day and removing poop once or twice a week was easy enough.

The bottom line is that you should decide what you want the filter to do and then decide what you need to accomplish that. I don't mind HOB style filters except some of them tend to be pretty noisy. I've never owned an AC, though I've heard nothing but good about them and they would be a first choice for a future consideration.

Canister filter, eheim classics or fluval -- dead silent, good filtration. I've never used any other type of filter, but I can't imagine anything being better.

You can get a used 2217 (way more than enough) for 80 bucks, 2215 for probably 50-60, and 2213s run 30-40. All used of course.

Seconded. Get a 2217. May be a few bucks more than you want to spend but guarantee you'll have no regrets.

Cornstar said:
I personally have the bio-wheels for my 55g (emperor 400) and 10g (penguin 150). The filter is nice but I already experienced problems with it after the first two months, the impeller started to rattle. It could be my fault that some sand might have gotten in, but Mairneland sent me two free impellers so now it seems like new. I never had any sort of ammonia spike, my water clears up quick. The bio wheels are somewhat a gimmick but they do really work with soft water opposed to hard water.

But if I had the option, I might have gotten an aquaclear 110 instead. It just seems to be recommended by everyone.

If u use sand u need to put a pair of pantyhose over the intake so sand wont damage the impellers

Back
Top Bottom