Pickingg up my 55 gallon tonight! Plant ideas, stocki tips, etc!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dylan5359

Aquarium Advice Addict
Picking up my 55 gallon tonight. I have a stabilized 10 gallon so I guess I'll put a bag of gravel from that tank to speed cycling up. Does anyone know how to build a stand? Just curious. I was thinking gravel for my tank then covering that with some plant carpet. I hear Christmas moss a lot would that do okay in a low light planted tank.? But then again I want something a little more delicate in texture. Any plant suggestions? First planted tank. The stocking so far is going to be a rainbow shark, two angelfish, 2 calico bristle nose plecos maybe 2 dwarf Gouramis. Not sure what else. Any ideas on the plants and stock? Thanks

You're not going to be able to have much of a carpet in a low light tank. Typically, carpeting plants require high light and co2. Mosses don't carpet. You might be able to do some kind of mesh and get it to kind of appear as a carpet, but you'd need a lot of it.

I hear Christmas moss will even stick to the glass. And it's good in a low lighted? If I was to buy a higher light bulb and a co2 tank what do you suggest. Never had that c02 thing so would you mind explaining the concept and what exactly Id need for it? What type of bulb would I need for a carpeting plant. If that won't word out I'll just go for some nice low lighted plants and forget the carpeting idea.

IF you read through my 40 breeder journal, it pretty much should answer any questions you have regarding co2. As far as lighting, a 2x54w T5HO would get you close, a 4x54w T5HO with one actinic bulb (to knock the wattage down) would give you the ability to put about any plant you want in there.

Do you have any experience with vallisneria, cabomba, amazon swords, bacopa, and cyptocorynes ? Because I have done a small layout on what I want the tank to look like (I dumped the carpeting idea). These plants some rocks and a nice piece of driftwood is basically it. What type of wattage for these plants? Also do I have to add some special nutrients or something for the plants? Thanks again.

Picked up my tank! It was BIG. Considering my biggest tank was a ten gallon!

most of those are med light plants......a good rule is 2 watts per gal anything under is low light and anything over is high and needs co2

go to plantgeeks.net

they show you plants wich fall under all the light reqs

On a 55g tank, you're looking at probably a 2x54w T5HO. That would actually put you at medium-high lighting. You would be borderline co2 at that point IMO.

But I wouldn't need the c02 would I? I'll look for that bulb on petco's site.

Back
Top Bottom