Pictus Catfish Stocking (55 gal)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nekkoriv

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank with:
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Pictus Catfish
2 Bolivian Rams
6 Phantom tetras

This question is mostly about the Pictus Catfish. Should I have more than one? Before stocking the rest of the tank I want to make sure all of the fish I have now are healthy. If I have to finish stocking by getting 3-4 more Pictus Catfish, I'd be okay with that(I'd get more plants and PVC pipes.). Would it prefer some friends? How many more can I fit? Thank you for your time and patience.

Edit: I'd also like to get as few as possible with them being content because I don't want to many bottom swimmers. I don't know how my rainbow shark would feel about having to share the bottom of the tank with a bunch of catfish.

Last edited:
My understanding of the pictus catfish is that they prefer the company of other pictus when they are younger, but prefer their own territory when they are adults. I love the pictus by the way, I want to set up a tank with angelfish and pictus.

Laser said:
My understanding of the pictus catfish is that they prefer the company of other pictus when they are younger, but prefer their own territory when they are adults. I love the pictus by the way, I want to set up a tank with angelfish and pictus.

I have a 55 gallon tank with 1 pictus, 2 striped Raphael catfish, 2 bristlenose Plecos, 2 angel fish, 1 bala shark and 3 denisons barbs. My Pictus shares a little cave in my driftwood with one of the striped Raphael's and sometimes on of the Plecos. When I first added 2 of the denison barbs the pictus would chase them when they went in front of his spot but only for the first week or two. Now he leaves them alone.

Should I not get another Pictus then? He's already 4 inches so I think he's old enough to want to be alone.

Should I not get another Pictus then? He's already 4 inches so I think he's old enough to want to be alone.

I would not. I was given a coupla pictus a coupla years ago. One was around 5" the other maybe an inch or so smaller. Even though they were in the same tank when I got 'em, once in their new home the larger started harassing the smaller and I had to separate them. I think addin' more would be a hit or miss chance as far as how well they got along.

WYite

I would not. I was given a coupla pictus a coupla years ago. One was around 5" the other maybe an inch or so smaller. Even though they were in the same tank when I got 'em, once in their new home the larger started harassing the smaller and I had to separate them. I think addin' more would be a hit or miss chance as far as how well they got along.

WYite

Okay. Thanks for the advice. I won't get another one. I still have to figure out what else I want to stock the 55 with though. Maybe some Gouramis or another shoal of tetras.

Back
Top Bottom