Pictus Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovemybarbs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My pictus must feed all night off the bottom, because he never comes out when I feed my fish.

The only thing he will eat if I drop down by where he sits are the frog bites I have left over from my ADF.

I'm bummed. When I first got him he went to the top and loved anything I threw in there. Is it because he is over three years old?

typically, pictus cats are bottom fish. It would be rare to see them at the top unless they were exceptionally hungry.

Is he the only one in your tank? I believe they will be more social the more they have friends. I believe that they should be kept in groups of at least 3.

I'm sure age plays a factor too, how big is he? They are nocturnal creatures so you won't see them as much as some other types of fish.

As far as I understand, young pictuses like the company but as they get older, they get territorial and would prefer to live alone. I would not try to introduce a new one to the tank now.

She's about five inches long. She has her favorite spot. For their evening feedings I usually turn the light off right after I put the food in.

I have also heard that at that age and size they become territorial. She's probably too set in her ways to accept newcomers. It sounds to me like age is a definate factor for her acting more nocturnal. I have a couple of nocturnal fish I have to sit in the dark with a flashlight not aimed directly at the tank to watch them.

Sounds like my gold nugget pleco. I've caught him when I sneak up on the dark tank eating but never see him eat in the daytime. Brats LOL.

Oh, I did buy some small zebra danios about a month ago. I know she ate them. Next time I won't buy cheap. I really didn't think she would go after them. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom