pike cichlids - possible mated pair - added pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ascarlis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have 3 pike cichlids (possibly orange pikes, but not certain) in my 185. i have had them for 5 months. about three months ago two appeared to pair off. they spend all day swimming together, often brush up against one another, and stay away from other fish in the tank. when i purchased them they were 3" and looked identical. Now they are 6" and one of them has changed coloration (possibly to reflect different sex?).

what are the chances they are a pair? what can i do to get them to mate?

any help would be appreciated. will try and post picks, but they stay at the back of my tank.

With over 60 species of pike cichlids, it's difficult to know exactly which ones you have.

Pikes prefer lots of caves and such to lurk under. They also demand clean water to remain in peak health. As adults, they generally do not get along well with each other (not to mention other fish), and will kill each other if not enough territory and hiding places are available. That said, they are a great looking fish and your tank might be large enough to house them adaquately.

I'm not aware of any recorded spawnings. Still, it's entirely possible that you've got a young pair that feel comfortable enough to surprise you with a spawn. Good luck and please keep us posted.

thanks

thanks for the reply. i will post a pic when i get one.

they were sold as "orange pike cichlids" but I am not convinced that is what they are.

i share your concerns about their aggression. There is ample hiding room in the tank. I have build caves, etc. for them (they use to have pvc, but have outgrown its use). They have yet to be aggressive at all with each other (sometimes, if one has food hanging out of its mouth, they will chase each other around, but that is more playfulness than anything it seems like - no nipping or anything). Any ideas on things I can due to reduce its liklihood in the future?

You're wise to be skeptical of the exact species. Pikes are often mislabeled and sold as something they aren't. Juvenile cichlids will get along well with their own kind for a while. As they mature, the need to be part of a group diminishes and the territorial and aggressive nature of the fish takes over. The best you can do to limit the aggression is provide enough rock work for each of them to have their own space.

orange pikes

i am now pretty sure they actually are orange pikes. here are the best pictures I had, sorry they are so poor.

You'll need to upload those images to a site like photobucket.com in order to link the images.

Back
Top Bottom