"Pimple" on goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RinRai

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I just registered and am looking for some help. We have a calico ryukin goldfish and it's developed a large bump on its side that's remarkably like a pimple. Since then two other spots like it have appeared on the same side. It also is spitting its food out and had a long white colored stringy poo. It also seems to have a little trouble staying upright. It's not a lot of trouble but seems to be more of an annoyance to the fish than a serious swim bladder problem.

We talked to someone at petsmart and they had us try a liquid with malachite green in it for parasites but it doesn't seem to be having much effect. I should mention that the "pimples" did erupt with white looking material. It was not a worm or parasite, just thick strands of something.

I'll try and post any info you need. It is a 45 gallon tank with only two fish in it; the ryukin and a black moor. The black more seems to be just fine. The ryukin is very fat looking. I don't know if that is normal for this type of goldfish. As for ph levels and whatnot I'll post when I can. We usually do either 25% water changes every 2 weeks or a 50% once a month.

Sounds like pustules. Do you feed them vegies? It wont hurt to feed deshelled frozen peas (thawed) and it will help cleanse his gut. It may be a bacterial problem, but you will likely need to post pics to get advice on what it is and how to treat it.
A good gravel vacuum and water change can only help :)

My wife feeds them pellets. She doesn't normally feed them peas. But the sick one has been spitting the food out anyway. Thinking about going to get a fishy antibiotic next because I don't think the malachite green is helping a lot.

My wife feeds them pellets. She doesn't normally feed them peas. But the sick one has been spitting the food out anyway. Thinking about going to get a fishy antibiotic next because I don't think the malachite green is helping a lot.

Oh and we do have a gravel pump and I make sure to clean the gravel well.

I dont know anything about the pimple part but for the having trouble staying upright that could be a swim bladder issue. I keep ryukins and there very prone to it. I'd reccomend the blanched deshelled peas they really do the trick, and my goldfish love em :)

Sounds like parasites. Get some medicated fish food and feed as instructed as internal parasites are often only killed this way. Keep the tank really clean as sometimes a clean tank can go a long way in healing fish. Good luck!:)

Back
Top Bottom