Pink/Red lesions on gills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camescu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any ideas? Recently lost so couple of rainbow fish they had some blackening around their scales. Now after tonight's water change I have seen some pinkish/red lesions on or in the neon tetra gills. Behaviour is normal and water parameters are great (amm 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10 ph 7.5)

I'm assuming some sort of disease in the water column. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've included the link I was reading. The only way I know to tell is staining and a microscope which is way beyond me.

Ime (although limited) it seems there are more meds for gram negative bacteria and maybe more often seen but I'm speculating a bit. Would be curious what others think.

The link below has a section on bacterial gill disease in case it matches.

http://cichlid-forum.com/articles/diseases_bacterial.php

Thanks. Seems there is a lot of learning for me to do.

I must get a quarantine tank ASAP.

Great idea. Yes a QT is safest. I find it diabolical what they can catch - there was one website I saw with 70! diseases.

Just saw your other post. Has tank temp increased lately? I've had that spark off bacterial infections so just in case.

research Mycobacterosis. If your seeing black areas on the Rainbows, and small pink/red lesions on their body, your probably dealing with Myco.

Cheers. I will do.

The lesions are on the tetras and the blackening on a couple the the ex-rainbows. All other rainbows and other fish are looking fit and healthy.

Just keep[ an eye on your other Bows, if you see anything on them, then you'll know.. the lesions on the neons are most probably bacterial in nature. Several large water changes will do as much good as anything.

Cheers yeah. Been doing a bit of reading. Fish TB basically. Gulp.

research Mycobacterosis. If your seeing black areas on the Rainbows, and small pink/red lesions on their body, your probably dealing with Myco.

Reading more on this now too :)

Would you know what the black areas are representing? I was guessing areas where TB has infected and blood is pooling or some sort of problem (like a bruise). Wondering how it compares to ammonia burns as a side topic.

Also in only light reading, I've come away with the impression that fish TB is mostly slow acting (but can be quick on occasion). I guess a bet each way there but is it known if it tends to be slow and/or fast spreading?

Any thoughts or articles appreciated.

The blackened areas are where the cells have been damaged by the disease. This will sometimes clear after a while, as the cells repair themselves.
It can have a slight resemblance to amm. burn, but this is more under the scales as opposed to topical..
Myco is usually slow progressing, but as you read, it can act fast on weakened, or stressed fish.
As I'm sure you have also read, there is no known cure.
If the fish are kept in pristine water conditions, and fed a varied diet including fresh veggie matter, they can live for quite some time. I had bows infected with Myco live for 10 yrs. Obviously I took them out of my breeding rotation, and didn't add any fish to that tank. Don't use anything that is used in the infected tank on any other tank. If you have any open sores on your hands or arms don't put them in the tank. On a rare occasion humans can contract the disease. It can lead to some nasty sores. I dealt with it for years while breeding Rainbows, and never had any personal issues. You can still enjoy your fish for years with just a little perseverance towards clean water, and a healthy varied diet.

Thanks for this much appreciated. Yeah, never had it thank goodness - nasty stuff but nice the fish can still keep going.

Your very welcome. If I can help at all in the future, don't hesitate to bump me.

No worries. Not much of a sidetracking and some good info

Back
Top Bottom