Planaria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MysteryShrimp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've had tanks forever and I have never had little white worms on my glass or any other little unwanted guests. My water quality is perfect 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 5 to 10 give or take nitrate with a pH of about 7.1. But I find the little suckers on my glass in my youngest tank of 8 or so months with shrimp and otos and a snail. I do water changes every week and sometimes twice if I notice a nitrate spike for any reason. How do I get the little nuggets out of my tank without killing my shrimp or their shrimplets and snail?

First you need to make sure these are indeed planaria. Planaria are typically tan, grey, or brownish and can vary in size (anywhere from 1/8"-1/2" or more from what I've seen). Their size stays consistent as they move. They are flat and glide along surfaces. They do not swim or take to the open water. They possess a triangular hear with two eye spots. You can Google images of planaria and see if it matches what you are seeing in your tank.
There are many types of worms which match most of the above criteria. If it meets all of them, then most likely they are planaria. I have successfully treated my shrimp tank for planaria using fenbendazole. It is a deworming agent. I got it from Amazon. No harm to the shrimp and snails when used at a proper dosage. As a plus, it also eradicates hydra.

These are definitely some Lind of flat worm since they don't swim in the open water and they stick to the glass. I can see them crawling in the substrate in the parts that I piled up but I gravel vac every time I water change so I don't see that too much now. Is there any other type of white worm they could be?
I've seen detritus worms in substrate when I was on one of my first few tanks when I was younger but since then I've never had that issue. Thank you for the help!
Also is it possible to get rid of planaria w/o chemicals? I try not to use chemicals if I can avoid it but I will use them if it's life or death.

When I spotted the ones in my tank they definitely had the triangular head and black eyes. The light didn't shine through them hardly.

Ok I did some more research and found that they are harmless and will boom then bust. Their species name is rhabdocoela.
I'm sorry for getting so worked up and thank you for the replies so I know how to treat a future (hopefully not) planaria out break.

Back
Top Bottom