Planning a New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superpeytonm

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all!
I've recently been thinking a lot about starting a new tank. This tank would ideally be 10 gallons, but I may be able to go up to 20.

This tank, unlike my other two, would be heavily planted with easy to maintain, low-to-medium light plants. I'd prefer not to have to use CO2, as I have no clue how to use it. What kind of plants fit this criteria?

As far as stocking goes, I thought about pygmy sunfish, but I think those need a bigger tank. I'd like to have shrimp, maybe red cherries or Amanos. I'd also like to have snails, probably nerites. What kind of fish do you suggest with such a setup, if not pygmy sunfish? I'd like a species of fish that you don't ordinarily see, a species that is more uncommon.

Remember that I'm just trying to toss around ideas right now. All ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks, everyone!

Start looking into Killifish.

Often there is a Killifish group which will meet in a nearby area.
About the AKA | American Killifish Association
Why don't more people keep killies? — Practical Fishkeeping Magazine
Wow! I've heard about Killifish in the past, but I never knew there were so many beautiful species of them! I'm particularly drawn to the Fundulopanchax gardneri killifish and the black pearl killifish, although it's hard to decide on a favorite with so many amazing options! Would killies be okay in a ten gallon, or should I go bigger? I see some people online say ten, some say twenty. There seems to be little agreement.

I see quite a number of them kept as pairs for breeding a a rather small container.

There are Annual Killifish which lives are designed to complete a life cycle and will not live too much longer than a year
Annual Killifish: A Story of Survival (Full Article) | Details | Articles | TFH Magazine®

We have local breeders around Denver who are very successful in keeping and raising many varieties.

Blue Gularis, Fundulopanchax sjoestedti... So beautiful!!! This fish is pretty renowned around here and the writer of this article is a member of the CAS and CKC. He (Sumer Tiwari) took the video and pics.
https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2015/01/22/blue-gularis-killifish-eclosion-hatching-from-the-eggs/

I see quite a number of them kept as pairs for breeding a a rather small container.

There are Annual Killifish which lives are designed to complete a life cycle and will not live too much longer than a year
Annual Killifish: A Story of Survival (Full Article) | Details | Articles | TFH Magazine®

We have local breeders around Denver who are very successful in keeping and raising many varieties.

Blue Gularis, Fundulopanchax sjoestedti... So beautiful!!! This fish is pretty renowned around here and the writer of this article is a member of the CAS and CKC. He (Sumer Tiwari) took the video and pics.
https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2015/01/22/blue-gularis-killifish-eclosion-hatching-from-the-eggs/
Those articles are fascinating! Killies are some of the most incredible fish I've ever come across. I think I'm definitely going to have to go the Killifish route with this tank.

They sure are interesting. See if you have a Killifish group who meets near you.

I woud not recommend the Wonder Killi or Golden Killi you see at the big box stores for sale. It get a little larger and not for a 10G.

If you can find a local breeder near you, even through a aquarium society group. It would be ideal since they would be raised locally, chances of them adapting to your local water conditions would be most probable (even though different towns can source their water from different locations meaning different parameters).

Local breeders fish are nice, often the breeder will like to show off their breeding/ tanks area and you may get to see an amazing variety of fish, and learn a lot too.

Some killifish grow over 8 inches, while some stay smaller than an inch. 10 gallons is plenty enough room.

Back
Top Bottom