Planning a reef tank ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jwalsh said:
No way can you put 3 3" fish in a 10g. I can only put 4 3" fish in my 29g maybe 1 or 2 fish that grow up to 1-2" the smaller the better. You don't want to over load the bio load in the tank. It will just cause tons of issues and you will have to change water constantly

2 clown gobies and a firefish. That's not overstocked at all. I mentioned 3" because that's the length of a firefish full grown. You obviously can't put 3 clowns in a 10g.

Misunderstanding my mistake. I just didn't want him to think that 3 3" of any kind of fish was ok. 3 small fish is ok or 3 slim bodied fish would be ok. Like you said 2 clown gobies and a fire fish. Maybe a helfrichi lol that would be a great centerpiece fish for a small tank like that.

jwalsh said:
Misunderstanding my mistake. I just didn't want him to think that 3 3" of any kind of fish was ok. 3 small fish is ok or 3 slim bodied fish would be ok. Like you said 2 clown gobies and a fire fish. Maybe a helfrichi lol that would be a great centerpiece fish for a small tank like that.

I'm a she, if you were referring to me there. Those helfeichi are gorgeous! I don't think I want to spend that much though. Perhaps just a normal firefish. Hopefully the lady still has that tank next week when I am able to go pick it up! Thank you again for all the knowledge you guys have shared with me. :)

So is it a no on 3 orange lined cardinal fish? They look slim bodied in the picture I've seen... But that is the problem. It's just a picture. Liveaquaria said min tank size 10 gals, but I don't want to crowd the tank.

Bearchumjs said:
I'm a she, if you were referring to me there. Those helfeichi are gorgeous! I don't think I want to spend that much though. Perhaps just a normal firefish. Hopefully the lady still has that tank next week when I am able to go pick it up! Thank you again for all the knowledge you guys have shared with me. :)

So is it a no on 3 orange lined cardinal fish? They look slim bodied in the picture I've seen... But that is the problem. It's just a picture. Liveaquaria said min tank size 10 gals, but I don't want to crowd the tank.

I think you could do 3. I just think maybe it'd be better for more variety like one bottom dweller, a mid tank swimmer, and a top tank swimmer.

Someone has a 90 gal saltwater setup w/ MH's, under tank sump, sand, 75lbs of live rock, skimmers, extra bulbs etc for $450 on craigslist... Now if only they'd be interested I trading scuba gear for it... That would be awesome. But I have to ask- how much would a 90 gal setup weigh?? And how long are they typically?

We live in a manufactured home... I'd hate for it to fall through the floor! LOL!

I would figure my 90g weighs in around 800-900 lbs full of water, sand and rock. Luckily I am on a slab foundation so I can get any tank i want. lol

How about a purple firefish? Different than a regular old firefish and not quite as pricey as the helfichi(sp?).
:-D

Bearchumjs said:

Sorry :& 90 gal are 4ft long and I would agree with Carey probably right around 1000 lbs. As for the helfrichi I can get them for $40 whenever I want them so if anyone wants one ill pick it up from my fish Guy and ship it out. Just pay shipping. Can't beat that deal my lfs sells them for $200! I couldn't pass it up I had to get a mated pair lol

jwalsh said:
Sorry :& 90 gal are 4ft long and I would agree with Carey probably right around 1000 lbs. As for the helfrichi I can get them for $40 whenever I want them so if anyone wants one ill pick it up from my fish Guy and ship it out. Just pay shipping. Can't beat that deal my lfs sells them for $200! I couldn't pass it up I had to get a mated pair lol

So would I need reinforced flooring?

Bearchumjs said:
Someone has a 90 gal saltwater setup w/ MH's, under tank sump, sand, 75lbs of live rock, skimmers, extra bulbs etc for $450 on craigslist... Now if only they'd be interested I trading scuba gear for it... That would be awesome. But I have to ask- how much would a 90 gal setup weigh?? And how long are they typically?

We live in a manufactured home... I'd hate for it to fall through the floor! LOL!

id take some scuba gear for my tank :)

Bearchumjs said:
So would I need reinforced flooring?

Most likely I'm not sure what the load rating for the floors are in manufactured homes but floors near exterior walls will hold more because the floor has better support there. I would definatly check into it before getting into a tank of that size

jwalsh said:
Most likely I'm not sure what the load rating for the floors are in manufactured homes but floors near exterior walls will hold more because the floor has better support there. I would definatly check into it before getting into a tank of that size

Ok thank you. I'll have to look into it.

Ok- so I'm looking at this 50gal on Craigslist. Should I go for it?! $50 is what she's asking. It has a few chips along the edge but she said it doesn't leak.

Doesn't look to bad for 50 bucks...looks like it is a tall tank. I have a 36 tall and tbh I hate that it is tall. I wish I would have known. It may give more room, but it isn't more swimming room just a reason to need more powerful lighting for your corals.

I'm going to go have a look at it and see what I think. I was wondering how it would do with corals since its tall and not long. There's a 125 for $75... That's too big for my house though!

Just remember the taller the tank the stonger the lights you need to grow those corals on the bottom of the tank. Shallower is better not just because of lighting but because of rock scaping layout like carey said previously.

Trying to get a 55 gallon long tank with stand and lights for $150 off Craigslist. Hopefully the guy coming to look at my scuba gear today buys about $200 to $300 worth...or all of it. That would be even better. LOL!! Cross your fingers for me!

I don't know exactly. I imagine it is probably 48 inches. I figured since it has some lights I could at least get started with a FOWLR set up and upgrade the lights later. It's been on Craigslist for a while so at least I don't have to worry about someone else swooping in on it before I get a chance to go look at it. I'm really hoping the stand looks good.

Back
Top Bottom