Planning a reef tank ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My bday is in 10 days! Holy crapoly! I hate being an odd number age (31!). I'd much rather be an even number. Anyway, hopefully I can post a picture of my birthday present. I have a feeling it will be that 55 gallon tank and stand. :) since it will be awhile until I can get saltwater up and running I think I'll move my betta into it. 1 betta... In a 55 gal tank. That's it. LOL! I'm just kidding. I'll probably put some sand and a piece of base rock in it and leave it dry until I get the rest of what I need.

And I've heard that I can use the API freshwater master kit on saltwater but I just need a different color card?

Yep, the colors are a tiny bit different with saltwater. Ammonia sample actually gets a muddy green color. lol But for the most part the colors run about the same. Green for ammonia, purple for nitrites and orange or red for trates. :)

carey said:
Yep, the colors are a tiny bit different with saltwater. Ammonia sample actually gets a muddy green color. lol But for the most part the colors run about the same. Green for ammonia, purple for nitrites and orange or red for trates. :)

Thank you! That's one less thing to have to buy right away. :)

jwalsh said:
Expensive! Lol

I know! I'll probably get t-5's and upgrade to LEDs after awhile. It won't seem as expensive when I don't also have sand, rock, pumps, skimmer, salt, RO/DI unit , etc to buy.

Depends on what your def of expensive. I talk abotu this daily anymore, but there are chinese knockoffs that people are using in the forums that are 1/3rd the price of other LEDs and are growing SPS under them. They don't have timers or single cords...nothing fancy, but work.

Sniperhank said:
Depends on what your def of expensive. I talk abotu this daily anymore, but there are chinese knockoffs that people are using in the forums that are 1/3rd the price of other LEDs and are growing SPS under them. They don't have timers or single cords...nothing fancy, but work.

They sell those on eBay right? I think I have a link on this thread somewhere that someone posted. I'll have to be sure to look at it before I buy my lights.

I'd highly recommend it. After buying a 4 bulb T5HO for my 36 and it not producing/supporting what it should have, that was a def money setback. And those LEDs are the price of T5HO units, so I don't see any reason not to use LEDs. Same money and support for more light demanding corals? Yes please. Sadly, they didn't match my needs for lighting so I spent alot on radions. Def don't regret it though.

carey said:
Here is the link for the led's i got.

Amazon.com: TaoTronics Aquarium Coral Reef Tank White Blue LED Lamb Grow Light 120W: Patio, Lawn & Garden

They are pretty good, very basic, no dimming or anything but I feel enough light to grow many corals. The unit has fans and seems pretty well built as well. :)

How long have you had this fixture? I also didn't see dimensions? I have heard good and bad about these lights so I'm not sure, also in the pics it looked very blue

The dimensions are 17.6 X 11.2 X 4.3. You would need one per 24 inch area so two would work for a 55 or a 75g.

Taotronics makes 2 of these units. The one that is white has 30 white leds and 25 blue ones which makes a nice very lightly blue hued tank. The black case model has 30 blue and 25 white leds so you get an even bluer tank.

I have the white casing one right now and it doesn't have too much blue in it, here is a crappy photo so you can see what it looked like on my 20g.

img_1860699_0_a41dfd9ef5a93d24f5347cb21b723461.jpg

Actually, you can get either color in either bulb configuration. I had the option of white or black housings when I ordered mine. I would suggest the 30 blue and 25 white.

Cured is ready to go in the tank and will not have much die off if any at all. Uncured is raw and will have quite a bit of die off but is much cheaper than cured. I personally get uncured and just cycle it with my tank to save a little extra cash for other stuff

Ok. If I were to get these things could I start cycling my tank?

55 gal tank and stand
Twin 1250gph submersible pumps
200W heater
Sand
Rock
Salt water mix
API saltwater test kit

Do I need the HOB filter or protein skimmer right away? (I'm thinking no but want to make sure.)

My husband may surprise me for my bday coming up! This will be fish less cycle.

And I know I've been over this before with you guys but your advice is so greatly appreciated!

Yes, you can start a fishless cycle with that. The filter would give another place for bacteria to grow, but isn't needed. And no, you dont need a skimmer right away.

Back
Top Bottom