Planning a Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nerdelish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I assume everyone approaches building a new planted tank differently.

How do you plan for your tank? Do you look at other tanks you like to get ideas? Is it all about the plants? Do you map out a plan or just go with what is on hand?

I just started this hobby this year, so much of my tanks are based around what I could get and easy growing plants like wisteria. As I progress, the idea of a more planned tank appeals to me. So, for those of you who plan your tank setup, what is your method?

For me it starts with who's going to be in it. That pretty well narrows down what can go in. I'm not putting plants that require high co2 in with fish that require a highly oxygenated aquarium floor for example. It may not actually matter to them in the least, but I'm not much a chancer.

Branchy plants work well with shrimp, so I'm going to look at wisteria, hornwort, etc. for them. Maybe the fish I want like cover, so I'll look for broad leafed plants. It makes for a lot of research, but the end result will be more satisfactory for the inhabitants in the long run.

Work from the bottom up based on plants needs. Choose a substrate and additives that will suit plants and inhabitants. You don't want sharp gravel if you're getting a barbelled bottom feeder. Some plants are easier to seat in sand, others do better attached to something else like a rock, driftwood or wire shelf. Once elements are sorted, I sketch it out. Easier to erase/hit undo than rearrange the entire thing.

I'm not saying it's perfect. Sometimes you find something later you MUST have. If it isn't viable for your current set up, it isn't viable. Multiple tank syndrome is a thing ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I think a good way to approach it, is like Laeris said, first figure out if there is something you definitely want in the tank. This may drive the rest of the build. But assuming you want a general setup and are flexible, I usually put all the hard scape in first. I personally like making different levels in the tank, so I get slate to hold back substrate in order to make levels. Then once the design is complete, I fit plants in where they look best assuming they have the right conditions. You just have to know the relative size of the plant when full grown so you don't end up putting tall plants in the front, unless thats your style.

With my tanks i usually just wing it with the aquascape and it ends up working quite well for me. The only planning that I do for plants is placing a hardscape to define borders for growing plants.

Planted tanks are far more diverse as far as creating a scape goes. I pick plants that will contrast, theres no point putting similar looking plants together as they will just blend in.

My process is:
1. Choose loaches
2. Choose tankmates for the loaches
3. Choose decorations that the loaches will hide in
4. Choose plants that don't die easily

Then I just throw all those things together.

I'm not a very good aquatic gardener :lol:

I like the beginning with the fish and the hardscape ideas. I think part of my problem is just not knowing the different aq plants very well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's ok! Post what fish, maintenance level, tank and lights. Within a week, you'll have suggestions enough for a veritable jungle.

Back
Top Bottom