Planning ahead.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

G1203

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm planning a few months ahead and we will be moved into are final house. I think my mom and dad are going to let me get a 6 foot tank!!!!
So I will probably use three of the Dimmable leds or a t5 ho fixture.

STOCKING!!!!

Corals:
Mainly lps and softys. Maybe a couple sps.

Fish:
1 Yellow tang
1 Blue hippo tang
1 Yellow eyed kole
1 Coral beauty angel
2 Occ clowns.

Am I over stocked? If not make some suggestions on fish, corals, or inverts!!

Thanks

I guess my stocking is all right then

Depends how many litres your tank is. Ie seen 5 foot aquariums at less than 200 litres and that's not gonna be enough for a big group of fish. If you're 6 footer is hitting 1000 litres then you can afford to have a lot more fish.

It's going to be at least a 150 gallon tank

The stocking looks fine. I have a 125g 6 foot tank and have: yellow, blue and tomini tangs, a large shrimp goby, a lawnmower blenny and a purple dottyback. I had five other fish too but a few months ago I screwed up and now I dont have those extra 5 fish.

A 150g tank is usually 5 feet not six. The six foot tanks go 125g, 180g and then 210g and 220g usually. Custom tanks can vary.
:)

So I guess I will do a 125. I no that putting a decent sized tang in a five foot is a big no no. And I don't have the money for anything bigger than a 150. So I I want I can ad a few more fish?

In my opinion yes. :) Nothing too too big of course but a few smaller fish would be fine.
My tank seems so empty now so there is plenty of room.

Your one of my favorite reefers on here... So I need your opinion on what other stock I could add

Hmm let me see... I love chromis, pretty cheap and they school. I had 5 blue reef chromis and they were very cool. I also had anthias, another great fish. I;'d look at a blenny and goby as well, they arent just for small tanks lol. I would look at larger shrimp gobies though not the tiny ones and blennys are a good enough size that they wont get lost in such a big tank. There are so many options, it's based on what you like though. What colors do you want to add, do you want swimmy type fish or ones that perch. Oh, another great fish with a ton pf personality are flame hawks but they can eat smaller shrimp. I love my hawk, he just perches and watches you and will follow you around. I named mine sumo. :)
lawnmower blennys are very cool, and they can help with algae too. Thats a fish with alot of personality.

jawfish are neat too but you may not see them as often as you'd like as they dig a hole and pretty much live in it. lol

If ypu are going fish only then there are a ton more options too. Oh almost forgot, wrasses are a good addition as well though ypu might want to have screening in place when having them
:)

Ok i was also thinking of changing the hippo to a blue jaw trigger. I really like both. That's when you wish you had an extra foot to make the tank 7 feet:) lol oh well I'll probably go with the hippo tang.

Triggers can be on the aggressive side just so you know. And they will eat your snails and hermits. :-(

Ok thanks:) now I will really go with the hippo!:)

I really like gobies:) I had an orange striped prawn goby with so much personality!
He was my favorite fish in the tank till he jumped out one night:(
I never thought I would get so upset over a fish. I really want another orange stripe so I might get one in the next tank.

THANKS!!!

Good luck, will be watching for your build in the next few months. :)

Stocking is probably the most fun thing about fish tanks, at least to me! So many choices and they are all usually good ones. lol

I say a few months but knowing how picky my parents are, it will probably take them a little longer to find the perfect house for us to move into. Lol:)

Back
Top Bottom