Planning for a future shark tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always wanted a tank with a smoothhound shark. But my front room isnt big enough to put a 10ft by 4ft by 4ft. ****! When will that lottery come my way to buy a big house!

125 is way too small for a 3.5 foot shark. That shark will be half the length of the tank itself.

I have a fish store down here that have had one for five years now and it's not big at all I read many diff things about them 90 % of them say in capitivety it will not get bigger then 24 in

TomStav said:
Interesting, and good to know. Is it all tangs? I was mainly interested in a few yellow tangs and perhaps a hippo.

The hippo will be fine but definitely not the Yellow tang. It's got a mouth/beak like 1-2" long.

I just google it and 3 out of 5 say 24 in in captivity so who do I be leave and that was just the ones I looked at there were a lot more but I'm on lunch

If you really want to keep a shark for a longer time in a 125 why not get a marbled catshark or coral catshark? I am speaking of the atelomycterus sharks. Spelled something like that lol.

We thought you were talking about the bamboo shark commonly referred to as marbled cat shark. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes you are correct they usually stay under 24".

I won't banter, but think of it this way. A typical 125g is around 60" in length and 18" in width of which most catsharks available to hobbyists will exceed 12" quite readily (if properly cared for). Other than epaulette's, catsharks should have at least 12" of room without obstruction in order to make a u-turn and prevent abrasions/injuries. If you search for information related to zoological studies, scholarly articles, and information sites you'll find that the average length is 24" with a max of about 2.5'-3'. Case in point, I care for one in a 1400g that is under 4yrs and pushing 18"-24". Sharks don't stop growing just because they are not in the ocean, but over the years their growth rates will considerably drop...just something to think about during this sharks possible 20yr lifespan :)

And if u ready what I have wrote I planed on getting a small pool or one of the ponds u can get from home depot there for I wont have a problem I have done a lot of research about them I like how everyone try's to tell u what u have or how big they get I spent 2 years figuring out what I wanted and what I was going to do with him I'm moveing in a little bit so I'm not going to spend them money to put him in a pool or pond before I move

And there is a lot of animals that stop growing when in captivity or don't grow to the length they normaly do

Yup they do stop growing, its called stunting their growth and it is very painful for the fish. It will shorten their lifespan and cause deformities.

So I guess no one should ever have a shark or sting ray inless they have a 1000 gal tank or more other wise your hurting thefish

No, he's saying you shouldn't have a shark that can't move very much in your tank. If you have a true marbled cat shark, a 265 would do well, with a 180 possibly working. Stingrays are a different story. I personally do not think they need as big of tanks as is said. I currently own one in a 150, and they reach a maximum TL of 16". So it can easily turn around, and also I have 3/4 of the sanded open. As far as I've seen, once they're comfortable they stay buried a lot, and really only come out for a short "stroll" lol or to eat.

Back
Top Bottom