Planning for another tank, going BIG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks everyone! I hope you all have as much fun with your fishies as I do with mine. The cichlids, that the tank is for, have been breeding like crazy. I had to get them more room. The video doesn't do the size of this thing justice, I'll have to take some pics with me in front of the tank. I'm a big guy and this thing is huge.

I took a big chunk ut of my arm getting it up on the cabinet. Totally worth it.

Sitting here at the computer I'm looking right at it and it looks GREAT! Like a wall of water. I almost got the 210g, that might be my next move up after a few years. :D

Well this is turning out to be a whole new level of pain. I had to go get a step ladder because the tank is too deep and high for me to work on it without the ladder. No big deal there.

I'm REALLY not happy with the CC I got. It claims not to need rinsing. Of course I didn't trust that so I went ahead and rinsed it several times before putting it in the tank anyway. Every time I touch the bottom of the tank the entire thing clouds up with dust from the CC.

So I'm going to stir things up and then drain and refill the tank several times today to try to get it all out. At any rate it is an adventure. LOL

I hope you enjoy it! I love my big tanks, they are acually easy to tame care of once they are set up, oh yeah you will need some type of waterchanger like a python or homemade job lol

Yeah I have a syphon like a python, I couldn't live without it. :eek:

I'm sure keeping it in good shape once it is all setup won't be an issue. I'm just really disappointed in the mess the CC has made. I'll get it worked out though.

Yeah it should not take too long, I had kind of the same problem on my 300 gal, I did not wash the seachem matrix good enough when I put it in my 2 Fx5s and it made the water very very cloudy. I had to do 2 waterchanges and use waterpolishing pads to get it right again.

zparticle said:
Yeah it takes about 90 minutes to completely empty it. Ick. :eek:

I don't wanna even want to know the water bill for that. What kind of fish are going to be calling that thing home?

Its a cichlid tank. I had some in a 55 and they have been breeding a lot recently plus they are getting larger so this will be their new home. Red zebras, yellow labs, electric blue zebras, fuelleborni, an albino bushy nose pleco and a common pleco.

I'll have plenty of room so I'm looking into to getting some other. Maybe an African catfish and I would really like to get a couple male red empress fish. Still doing research on what the new fish will be.

The fish are now out of the temp tank and in the new big tank. They are cautiously exploring. Unfortunately I seem to have misplaced a couple of the smallest fry, not surprising but wish it hadn't happened.

Picked up: 2 Rainbow Sharks, 1 Red Empress,2 500 bi-color, 2 Benga yellow and 1 Venustus. Picks to come soon after things settle down.

Also picked up 2 more Venustus, 2 pairs of Obliguide (I think that is how it's spelled) and 2 Microlepis (egg laying cichlid that is also one of the largest cichlids in the world).

Back
Top Bottom