Plant bulbs at Walmart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I had to pull out one of the plants from my tank last night. I wanted to know you guys thoughts on the plant bulbs they sell at Walmart. Is it alright to get one, or bad idea?

Any that are better? Or just a shot in the dark? Can you suggest which kind to get? I have a DG that likes to garden. He frequently yanks up stems when he doesn't like where I stuck them.

I've never tried them but I read somewhere to float them till you see sprout then plant them. I have looked everywhere trying to find that for you but can't remember where I read it... You could always try that method if the bulb planting doesn't work....and of course if your 'farmer' permits that HAHAHA

The ones at petsmart seem to have a higher success ratio but a few people have said that if you send in your proof of purchase to the company and a note they will send you some replacement bulbs for those that don't sprout.

Interesting. Do any of those not agree with a DG? In general. Mine is just a PITA and has his own idea of where everything should go. Example: he just within the last 20 minutes bit an anacharis stem in half. Then just let's them float around till I see it and get it out. Though I have seen attempts to replant the stems. Dork weed.

I got some of those Wal-Mart bulbs...don't waste your time. I bought 3 bags because they were cheap.....I got what I paid for. Out of about 15 bulbs, only 1 sprouted, the rest were rotting duds.

I usually get them at Petco and Petsmart and yes you can send them in and get new ones if after 1 month they don't sprout. I let them float until they sprout and then plant them. I haven't tried Walmart bulbs.

Recently I read where you should put the bulbs into a paper towel dampened in a zip bag in a warm place, not necessarily direct sunlight though! Don't forget them, and check after a couple of days.

They will sprout so you will know which ones are viable and the sprouts come first which are the leaves so you will know which way to plant them.

So should I float them, leave them shallowly buried in the sand, or take them out and stick them in a paper towel? I put two in the tank. So far the farmer hasn't messed with them. Maybe he will like them. Maybe.

If they are already in the tank then float them. If you haven't taken then out of the package yet, I'd try to paper towel method.

I would pull them out yes. I don't think it will hurt them terribly if your farmer fish takes some nibbles or pushes them around the tank. Once they start to sprout push just the end with the roots in the substrate leaving part of the bulb exposed. That seems to be how its usually done and what I have had luck doing. :)

The ones at petsmart seem to have a higher success ratio but a few people have said that if you send in your proof of purchase to the company and a note they will send you some replacement bulbs for those that don't sprout.

Yup. I sent in one of my dud walmart bulbs and I got 8 in return.....although I put those in my low light tank and none sprouted :facepalm:

I got some of those Wal-Mart bulbs...don't waste your time. I bought 3 bags because they were cheap.....I got what I paid for. Out of about 15 bulbs, only 1 sprouted, the rest were rotting duds.

I think some of it depends on your lighting.....I had 2 bulbs sprout in my high(ish) light 5 gallon, and had 0 sprout in my (then) low-light 29 gallon....

How ironic Bettagal, the other day when I went to Wolly World, I looked at some and wondered that exact question...glad you started a thread on it...

Back
Top Bottom