Plant:fish compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mckitrick

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so i have mollies, guppies, swordtails and corys and a female betta and my concern is if i get some plant will any of them eat plants. I dont have any yet but i was just making sure they wont eat any. I also wanted to get some rcs. If any of the fish or shrimp will eat plants is there some i can get that they wont eat. Also on a diffrent note what is best sand or gravel for plant. Thanks i need info.

All of those selections will be fine with a planted tank.

As far as sand or gravel, either will work, about equally well. It just depends on what you like. I will say there are some plants (like stem plants) that are easier to plant in gravel, and there are some plants (like lilaeopsis, hc, etc) that are easier to grow in sand. But, as I said, either will work.

Algae and Micro-organisms, as well as bits of any food for the fish that make it to the bottom.

Will they eat algea wafers cause my tank is down stairs and gets no sun light

You don't need natural sunlight to create algae in your tank. Your tank lights will provide it if left on long enough.

You can also take a piece of decor or a rock and place it in a bowl with some water in a window to grow algae. Then take that piece and put it into your tank.

RCS also love lettuce and cucumbers, greenbeans, frozen fish foods and flake foods. Actually, I guess they'll eat just about anything. :lol:

If you choose to add sand to the tank make sure to remove all your fish and let the dust settle. The small particles in sand can kill most small fish. You can also add your sand cleaned and wet. I did that and got no dust particles and did not have to remove my fish which is good as i have a 75 gallon with lots of room for those little fish to run and hide in. I also did it backwards and started the tank with fish before I found the beauty of natural tanks. i am hooked now! Goodluck and all the fish listed will leave your plants alone. Goldfish are the really bad ones to have with plants.

Back
Top Bottom