Plant n00b

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobo8

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello! I have a 36 bow front with a few plants that have been in there for years which I didn't pay too much attention to. But I really want to start getting them looking awesome. I need some advice on how to get things going again. I have started doing weekly water changes again since getting a few more fish. What can I do about the algae? Trim? Otto? Pleco? Basically where should I start. Here's what I have:
Lighting: full spectrum daylight t8
(Have looked into finnex planted+ but they do not ship to canada)
Usually have light on 12 hours or more to be honest
Dose with flourish once every 2 weeks
Fish: 5 rummy nose tetras
3 yoyo loach(snail prob in tank) - they again really tiny at the moment but will relocate to the 50 when bigger
2 corys(recently given to me from a friend - wanting to get more)
3 cherry barbs(again recently given to me)
1 clown pleco
3 glass fish

So that's pretty much all I am doing right now so if you guys could help me with what direction to go in that would be awesome!

Please let me know if you need more info from me!
Here's some pics of plants right now
I have anubias barteri and cryptocoryne undulata and not sure of the other two one is anubias.. lol
Big anubias recently given to me from a friend and is very malnourished haha

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1478808652750.jpg
    1478808652750.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 1478808682272.jpg
    1478808682272.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 1478808690972.jpg
    1478808690972.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 1478808698762.jpg
    1478808698762.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 58
Hello! I have a 36 bow front with a few plants that have been in there for years which I didn't pay too much attention to. But I really want to start getting them looking awesome. I need some advice on how to get things going again. I have started doing weekly water changes again since getting a few more fish. What can I do about the algae? Trim? Otto? Pleco? Basically where should I start. Here's what I have:
Lighting: full spectrum daylight t8
(Have looked into finnex planted+ but they do not ship to canada)
Usually have light on 12 hours or more to be honest
Dose with flourish once every 2 weeks
Fish: 5 rummy nose tetras
3 yoyo loach(snail prob in tank) - they again really tiny at the moment but will relocate to the 50 when bigger
2 corys(recently given to me from a friend - wanting to get more)
3 cherry barbs(again recently given to me)
1 clown pleco
3 glass fish

So that's pretty much all I am doing right now so if you guys could help me with what direction to go in that would be awesome!

Please let me know if you need more info from me!
Here's some pics of plants right now
I have anubias barteri and cryptocoryne undulata and not sure of the other two one is anubias.. lol
Big anubias recently given to me from a friend and is very malnourished haha

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi Bobo

I would buy some flourish excel. This is a different product than the flourish but both a necessary based on the photos you have provided.

Cut the light down to 8 hours. Dose flourish excel daily at recommended levels and flourish a couple of times a week. Do weekly water changes 30-50% preferably 50%.

Leave the algae that is on the plants. When you get new healthy leaves coming through you can start removing the algae covered leaves.

Keep tank clean, follow above advice and enjoy the plants.

Caliban covered all bases there follow his advice and your tank should become like new again. Your algae issues would be due to to much light mostly so the 8 hours is a must. I'd invest in a timer for the light so u know your getting 8 hours every day

Back
Top Bottom