Plant Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 10 gallon tank that I want to add live plants to. It currently houses around 30 Endlers (yikes!), but I'll be shipping a bunch out next week so that I'll only have about 4. I just need a little help with what plants I can have in the tank. I have pool filter sand.

The lights were incandescent, but I replaced one of them with a 14 watt Daylight CFL from Home Depot. The color temperature is 5000k, will that work? It was the highest I could find. I can replace the other incandescent with another 14 watt CFL, but the tank already looked super bright so I left it as it is. Can I grow plants in this, and if so, which plants?

Here are the bulbs http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Thanks!

Oh, I thought 5000k was fine for plants, and since it's two CFL's at 28 watts it would be medium lighting. I'll give some lowlight plants a go though, can you recommend a good centerpiece type plant? I'd love a something like a sword, but I think they get too big for my tank.

You can't really say one kelvin temp will work for plants, as the spectrums are what's important. Because it's often not advertised, it's easy to recommend 6500k-10,000k bulbs because they typically emit those spectrums. There are some plant bulbs that are 2800k, but they grow plants just fine. Just give it a try and see what happens, you'll most likely have no issues.

There are a lot of plant options available. You've got your typical low lights, which are java fern, java moss, anubias, anacharis... then you've got a lot more options if you take a look at the plantgeek guide. Swords definitely get too big, but you could look at the various types of anubias. Some of those resemble swords IMO.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom