Plant Roots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yellow Eye Tang

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just curious - I bought a couple plants that are very big and the root systems on them are enormous for the amount of substrate I've got. I've got them buried but theres a couple roots here and there that stick out. Is this going to kill off leaves or what is the best way? Should I just cut them off at the substrate level? Also my baby tears still have the stuff from the pot on the root system which may be why they are not growing. Do I need to get the rest of that off as well?

When I put in a new plant, like an Amazon sword, that have huge roots I trim the roots up some until they are about 3" in length. Then I plant it. It helps the roots grow and establish better. My huge amazon that has been in the same spot for awhile has huge roots that come right out of the sand and into the water column. One root is even taller than the plant! No, roots sticking out into the water is fine. :)

Did you rinse the baby tears under the sink before you planted it? That should have gotten the packing stuff off the roots. I don't think that is the reason why it is not growing. Do you use any kind of plant fertilizer?

I use plant fertilizer, CO2 and high lighting and for some odd reason I cannot grow stem plants like baby tears. They just slowly die off on me. There are only a couple kinds that will grow. Must be my water supply or something. I have yet to figure out what.

you can trim the roots. thats not a problem at all.
how much light do you have in your tank? baby tears need high light. i dont think that the rock wool on them is a problem. i saw a video on utube that showed some guy that cut the baby tears into little plugs with the rock wool still on it and planted it in sections like that.

what plant? how deep is your substrate? a couple roots sticking out wont kill it but you prob might need a deeper substrate.

Back
Top Bottom