Plant suggestions to help control Algea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronBurr

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello All,

I've never done a planted tank, but as my first 55g is maturing I'm finding I'm cleaning up the algae more often then I'd like. I don't want to turn the tank lights off more, so I thought plants might help.

Are there some slow growing plants that I can plop in to the gravel substrate and they will grow fine? If I got to pick I'd prefer tall/background style plants, but I'm not sure if that's a reasonable request? I'm not looking to do a full planted tank, just something to help slow the algae growth that won't require much work.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

If you are looking for a plant that will suck up the excess nutrients and possibly starve out algae, research Hornwort.

If you are looking for a plant that will suck up the excess nutrients and possibly starve out algae, research Hornwort.

Thanks for the suggestion, I definitely will look it up! I think my biggest concern is that I don't have any soil or anything under the gravel. Will a few plants have enough nutrition from just the water?

You can plant Hornwort in the gravel, or let it float. It's one of the plants even I can't kill.

One more thought. Java Fern and Anubias. Just anchor the roots to driftwood or squeeze in between two rocks.

Thanks again! I like the look of the Java fern best, and after some reading, it sounds well suited to my tank. So I think I'll try that one. :)

How about a working crew like oto catfish if your tank has other small peaceful species only.

How about a working crew like oto catfish if your tank has other small peaceful species only.

Thanks for the suggestion, As a long term goal I would like to add pictus catfish to my tank. But it will be some time before I will be ready to add them. This is my first big tank so there has been a bit of a learning curve. I don't want to get the pictus until I am confidante in my maintenance of the tank.

What type of algae are you fighting? Brown? Green spot? Blue green? Black beard? Hair algae?

All have different ways to fix the issue, I can give u some advice if I know what type it is. Also what’s your lighting duration and filter turn over per hour?

Plants may make your issue worse depending on what’s causing the problem [emoji16]

Water wisteria is another good nitrate-eater, and it grows well in even medium-low light. also, some folks fasten pothos to the side of their tank (or put it in a HoB filter) and let the roots grow into the tank. Supposed to be great with nitrates.

But I agree with Bert2oo1, the key with algae is finding what causes it. What kind are you seeing? What kind of lights do you have an how long are they on? Have you tested your water to see what the levels are?

We're here to help. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom