Plant Tolerance...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

owen0992

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can plants tolerate temps up to 94 degrees? I believe my angelfish has an internal parasite and read that a heat treatment will get it eating again. I don't want my plants to die but the fish needs treatment.

I'm pretty sure plants can't handle temps that high.

*EDIT... but what plants do you have?

In the tank I'm talking about there are a couple crypts, 2 amazon swords, 2 Argentinian swords, what look like two mini swords, and a smaller apongeton species.

I seriously don't think they can handle temps that high. There are medicated foods that can be fed that kills internal parasites. Why do you think they have internal parasites?

'Internal Parasites' is an ambiguous term. While there are a limited number of parasites that can be cured with heat alone, most internal parasites will need medicated food. I would do some more research until you can make an educated guess as to what internal parasite you are dealing with, and then medicate accordingly. I get my medicated foodstuffs from Angels Plus

EDIT: Also, to not get sidetracked, I had plants starting to melt off at 85 for an ich treatment. You would likely start to experience significant meltoff at the temps you suggest.

Alright I'll avoid the heat. Rivercats I think it has an internal parasite because I noticed that it was not eating barely anything compared to what it had. It used to immediately go nuts for food. Then I noticed it was swimming weakly and letting the current move it around. It has been weirdly just staring at the surface like it was dazed. It also has taken to hiding more, which it never did before. I also noticed some reddening or swelling in the gills area. I can see the reddening in him a bit because he is a thin white color. There were no recent additions to the tank to scare it and it was the king, even though it is young. I have had it isolated for a week and I haven't noticed any change in it's behavior. Luckily nothing negative has happened. It can't be ammonia poisoning and there are no external signs of any other disease. It's weird because when I try to feed it, it hovers just 2 inches from the food and stares at it like it really wants it. It just never goes for it.

Check into Angels Plus medicated foods. I use their angelfish food and it's very good quality. Your only problem is going to be getting it to eat since it isn't. Do you have him in an isolation tank?

Where can I buy medicated foods? Yes, I do have him isolated in a 10 gallon. I know a ten is small for an angel but it's body is only around an inch or so. I actually saw him eat a little bit yesterday, just hoping that's a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom