Planted 10 gal RCS journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Photo update: 4 days after adding DIY CO2 and ferts.

Cambombas growth rate is significantly increased.

Attachments

• image-1995890962.jpg
    image-1995890962.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 96
  • image-3162040607.jpg
    image-3162040607.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 97
Planted 10 gal RCS tank

You'd want to go easy on the glut with shrimp. I think it was JKeating8 or misterpenguin4 that lost most or all of their shrimp because of an excel overdose. Not say don't use it, just don't be over zealous with it.

You really cannot go wrong with the liquid Seachem products. They work. After a while it might get costly. However, this is a 10 gallon tank so this might offset the cost a bit. I am just starting out with PPS Pro in a 20g. I like that you can adjust the portions of the ferts as needed (e.g. Omitting the nitrate dosing). I am still in the adjustment phase. For the most part I have been growing green plants; started with some red plants a couple of months ago. They look more bronze than red. Prior to PPS Pro, I was using a combination of Seachem Flourish Comprehensive, Excel, API Leaf Zone, Aqua Fertz root pellets, and DIY CO2 with good results.

I have a pair of clamp on 13w CFLs in a grow out tank but I do not have any red plants in there (yet). I have some regular Althernaria reineckii (AR) that needs some trimming. I might throw the cuttings in the grow out tank and see how they do under those lamps (change in color, leaf size, growth rate). There is also some direct sunlight that hits the tank for several hours so that will throw off the "experiment".

Hope the algae gets under control. I have battled Blackbeard, stag horn, string algae this past year.

Sounds like you have some knowledgable followers here so keep the questions coming.

Ill own up to it haha. I spilled a good splash of excel into the tank (dont try to pour excel over the tank, I was not thinking) and even a 75% water change wasn't enough to save them. But anyway, tank looks great. Really like the scape. I also recently started a shrimp tank about half this size. Will be following along!

Ill own up to it haha. I spilled a good splash of excel into the tank (dont try to pour excel over the tank, I was not thinking) and even a 75% water change wasn't enough to save them. But anyway, tank looks great. Really like the scape. I also recently started a shrimp tank about half this size. Will be following along!

Did not mean to call you out...i just needed an example of glut toxicity with shrimp because it came up as a question in this thread.
Yes, check out misterpenguin4's shrimp tank. Elegant nano tank with an entertaining cast of shrimp and snails.

Did some trimming and replanting so cambomba starts to fill the left side. Ludwigia is starting to show more of a red color in the new growth.

Any ideas on how to control the fern on the right side? Besides trimming it continuosly. I think that species has leaves too big for my 10 gal, might have to take it out and replace it all together.

Attachments

• image-1874861386.jpg
    image-1874861386.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 91
Did some trimming and replanting so cambomba starts to fill the left side. Ludwigia is starting to show more of a red color in the new growth.

Any ideas on how to control the fern on the right side? Besides trimming it continuosly. I think that species has leaves too big for my 10 gal, might have to take it out and replace it all together.

You could try rear of tank towards the center and to the left near the air line tubing. That way it can grow large and and not trim as often. Maybe try some Staurogyne repens in it's place, it gets approximately 3" or 7 cm tall. It has a nice brighter green color.

If it still requires too much trimming you can remove it.

Tank update:

Plants are really responding to CO2 and ferts, reduction of the photoperiod to 6 hours has decreased green hair algae growth. If everything goes well might increase to 6.5 hours next week and see how it goes.

The floating device is a cut off plastic bottle bottom with a float to grow some pellia moss cuttings. A friend of mine had some when he bought some online, it was too small to plant or attach, so hopefully it will grow in there.

Noticed DIY CO2 system bubble count dropped a bit, so I started a new mix to be able to change the bottles tomorrow and mantain a constant flow.

Inhabitants are happy and breeding.

Attachments

• image-194763697.jpg
    image-194763697.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 89
  • image-3099690074.jpg
    image-3099690074.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 86
  • image-2834268699.jpg
    image-2834268699.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 94
  • image-784086233.jpg
    image-784086233.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 94
You could try rear of tank towards the center and to the left near the air line tubing. That way it can grow large and and not trim as often. Maybe try some Staurogyne repens in it's place, it gets approximately 3" or 7 cm tall. It has a nice brighter green color. If it still requires too much trimming you can remove it.

Will look into that species haven't seen it in my LFS. Haven't have time to try to move the fern on the right to rear and left towards airline, might try that tomorrow, wouldn't know how to attach it. There is no space to plant it.

Photo update:

Introduced two new species front and right. Elocharis parvula and Pogostemon helferi. Ludwygia is showing more and more red in the top new growth.

Shrimp are already enjoying them as you can tell.

Hopefully I can get a lush carpeting out of it!

DIY CO2 lasted about 9 days before drop in bubble count and mix has already been replaced.

Attachments

• image-2391025849.jpg
    image-2391025849.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 86
  • image-1578928120.jpg
    image-1578928120.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 84
  • image-1947438998.jpg
    image-1947438998.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 81
DIY CO2 lasted about 9 days before drop in bubble count and mix has already been replaced.

Using a T connector and some quality one way valves, you could hook up a second DYI CO2 bottle. That way you can change out a bottle once a week or so and not have a significant drop off in CO2 (while it builds up pressure).

Usually I keep an eye out for the bubble count and start the new mixed bottle the night before I will do a change. That way I do the change during lights out and by the next morning pressure is back to where it needs to be. But that is a great idea to make bottle changes quicker.

Your tank looks great. Where did you find the info to your DIY CO2? I've been wanting to try something like that myself for a while.

Your tank looks great. Where did you find the info to your DIY CO2? I've been wanting to try something like that myself for a while.
fresh2o started a detailed walk thru thread in DIY c02! Def worth checking out...

Venymae thanks for the comment, go check out fresh2o's thread if you have any questions after that shoot. Be sure to check out Youtube as well, to get ideas on assembly itself, but dont deviate much design wise as the one provided by fresh2o is very efficient.

Brookster you beat me to it. Here you go: My DIY CO2 Setup http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298168 Long winded but should be enough info to get you started. Have had good results with it.

Hey Fresh2o I like your DIY CO2 build thread, it very informative, but it could do with some photos or a short video. If you have seen my setup it includes an IV line (Medical equipment) as a bubble counter, one bottle only and check valve. Just to keep in mind for smaller tanks.

Hey Fresh2o I like your DIY CO2 build thread, it very informative, but it could do with some photos or a short video. If you have seen my setup it includes an IV line (Medical equipment) as a bubble counter, one bottle only and check valve. Just to keep in mind for smaller tanks.

I typed that up on my phone. Yes, pics would have been nice. Next batch I mix up (this weekend) I'll snap some pics. Plus I'll take some of the setup.
I've noticed a drop in bubble output and thought I needed to refresh the batch. Turns out from time to time yeast builds up in the airline that feeds into the HOB and eventually clogs it. After clearing it with a pair of tweezers, it's bubbling away again.

Back
Top Bottom