planted 10g betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blizowman1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok, so heres the story: my kids betta weve had for yrs finally died....my girlfriend said I should buy them another. so I decided to setup a 10g for it this time instead of the constant maintenance of a bowl....( I know I know). but heres the setup
10g tank
black gravel (osmocote tabs underneath)
marina s10 hob filter which I put my own media in lol
img_2629951_0_c50f904af69a3b181aaadd2e5c8863e8.jpg

img_2629951_1_76afc5657440c8a4fecb7a01b0765304.jpg

walmart 10g heater
walmart hood for two 15w incandescent bulbs.... which I ended up buying 2-10w mini fluorescents
does anyone know anything about these bulbs im sure im in the low light range but would love any info someone could give me on these lights and what can be exected out of them..

img_2629951_2_978a5ba5fda18ce927507e0d17832364.jpg

img_2629951_3_236fe15b60e85d4cd52de74d1f4e86d0.jpg

img_2629951_4_77c032e22247a742aa9a0925be598f7d.jpg

Looks good... I'm uncertain about the bulbs, but they do say "full spectrum" which is definitely a good thing. Have you considered putting on a background? An all black background would not only disguise the wires in the back, but also make the plants and fish pop. Just a suggestion :)

Generally I agree with an all black background except for the fact that the tend to make reflections which will make the betta constantly flare up at the back of the tank. It might be a good idea to go for a blue background instead for a betta tank.

Yea I'm planning on getting a back ground for it and probably either a bag of Eco complete like I have on my 90g or maybe some fluval stratum.
Do either of you know if those bulbs are in the super low light level? And can you recommend any low light plants I could keep in here cause my 90g is high tech so I'm not real sure how to do low tech lol. And it being low tech should I start liquid dosing at some point? And do I HAVE to dose some thing like excel ?

And I was hoping on some help picking out plants my betta might like and possibly shrimp if he doesn't eat them. Is there any kind of fish I could put in with him?

It's hard to tell with those. I'm nt familiar with the output. But some good low light plants are java fern, java moss, anubias, and bolbitis. None of them should require any additional ferts or glut / co2 to grow. The betta should enjoy all of those plants as potential lounging areas.

Well the lights are fluorescent and 10watts each so you are putting 2wpg so I think plants in the low to medium should be fine. Just a warning though, I had them on my 10 gallon and condensation rusted everything inside the hood ad eventually blew the lights out. After like 6 months.

Well the lights are fluorescent and 10watts each so you are putting 2wpg so I think plants in the low to medium should be fine. Just a warning though, I had them on my 10 gallon and condensation rusted everything inside the hood ad eventually blew the lights out. After like 6 months.

It may be 2wpg but you are losing a lot of light on those hoods from misdirection.

I've seen those particular hoods and the reflectors they have, while they may be there they are far from efficient which dramatically cuts down on the light level.

Good to know. Luckily mine rusted out. Hahaha now I'm running a knock off marineland double bright led system.

Yeah that's how I'd do it...get a glass versa top and an LED fixture! I'd get the Finnex Fugeray. You'll be set!

I wanna keep it low tech though would either te marine land or the fuge take it out of that?

You can do low tech with a Fugeray, as that is what I have on my 10g. Ferts and a carbon supplement like Excel would be recommended but you wouldn't need pressurized co2.

What is the replacement for excel I know I hear people talk about some thing that starts with a g I figured it be cheaper I use dry ferts on my 90g so I know buying in bulk helps out

I it as easy to use and get as excel?

Not exactly. You need to dilute it first with DI water. Only places I have heard of getting it is online via Amazon or DealMed. I still buy Excel but don't use as much since switching to DIY CO2 (wonderful results).

Metricide 14 day solution. You buy a gallon, dilute it with a gallon of distilled water and then you have 2 gallons of excel for a tiny fraction of the price. You just have to keep it in opaque bottles.

Back
Top Bottom