planted cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calqless

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a 75g tank that i plan on using for a african cichlid tank. My friends say it cant be done. I love the way a planted tank looks, combined with the naysayers, it makes me want to do it even more. The tank isnt setup or anything yet (some stuff is srill on delivery.) So any advice would be helpful...unless "its dont do it"

Thanks in advance

Get prepared for few responses as most will say "don't do it". There's a reason that most are "naysayers" as it generally doesn't work. Mbuna (I'm assuming those are the specific Africans you're talking about) are algae grazers, aka herbivores. They live in a lake nearly absent of plant life, other than a species of Val. There are several members that have tried it on here, and I recall one in particular. A member named Convict on here had dozens of Anubias (a plant that supposedly fish hate the taste of). All was fine, until one day, his Mbuna decided to start destroying the, all, he lost at least $100 worth of Anubias. You can try it if you want, but just be warned, plants generally don't fare well with adult mbuna

Get prepared for few responses as most will say "don't do it". There's a reason that most are "naysayers" as it generally doesn't work. Mbuna (I'm assuming those are the specific Africans you're talking about) are algae grazers, aka herbivores. They live in a lake nearly absent of plant life, other than a species of Val. There are several members that have tried it on here, and I recall one in particular. A member named Convict on here had dozens of Anubias (a plant that supposedly fish hate the taste of). All was fine, until one day, his Mbuna decided to start destroying the, all, he lost at least $100 worth of Anubias. You can try it if you want, but just be warned, plants generally don't fare well with adult mbuna

Ya, he no longer has any plants to say the least haha.

If you really want African cichlids I think tanganykian species would be better. They aren't mbuna but they look unique

If you are dead set on plants i think you should try fake ones first and see how it goes .. mine even destroyed them :( some have successfully kept plants but it depends on the fish you choose and its very rare to see any plants in african cichlid tanks

Check out the pics on my profile I kept an assortment of plants in my cichlid tank with mbunas and peacocks an haps, if you want to know some tips and tricks or plant variety a that worked for me just private message me!

So ive had plants in my tank for awhile now. I put rocks ar bases when possible. But i also put another 40# of sand on after i let the plants get going. I ordered fishees so ill see how it goes after tuesday

My experience with my mbuna and a potted plant I think they were cryps, they lasted until I got a turtle who trimmed all the leaves. The fish were still young tho also.

The fake plant idea is a good one just to try. There are some nice looking fake plants and they are pretty cheap. I have a couple, they go for a week or two and then I find them floating on the top. I have a bigger one next to the side that the fish have not messed with at all.

Well my fish came in today, they are just running around, no damage to plants yet, but i doubt they are gunna dig enough to mess up the plants... eating them thats another story... Since i put 27 fish, what is the best eay to deal with the the impending ammonia spike? Ive had 4 cardinal and 3 plecos runnin around in it.

I added

Cobalt Blue Zebra Cichlid (Metriaclima callainos) x 7

Electric Yellow Cichlid (Labidochromis caeruleus)x 7

Red Zebra Cichlid (Metriaclima estherae) x 7

Fuelleborni Cichlid, Orange Blossom (Labeotropheus fuelleborni)x 6

I have a few pvc thing for hiding, I also have quite a few rocks and lots of plants.

Daily testing and water changes when needed until the filtration catches up

If by some chance you didnt already you need to remove the cardinal tetras...the cichlids will tear them up ... and water changes is definately the way to go with spikes

Back
Top Bottom