Planted or fake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieKeeper429

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can somebody tell me the pros and cons of having a planted tank vs. a fake plant tank??? I got a new 20gL and I'm thinking about getting it planted like my 10g but are there any pros to having it all fake?

I like fake cuz you don't have to worry about lighting as much, or trimming them! Plus with fake plants, then you usually don't have to worry about keeping the tank looking good with them, or fish tearing them to shreds!

The benefits of a planted tank are certainly a more natural look, in addition to helping filter out organic wastes to a degree in your water. Fish LOVE a planted setup as well. But that's not a good way to look at it. Planted tanks are usually the focus over fish stock, as the attractiveness of the tank focuses on the aquascape. So to say one is better than the other is somewhat irrelevant. I've seen plenty of beautiful tanks with nothing but fake decorAtions/plants. Planted tanks require much more care depending on what plants your interested in. So it's up to you!

Can somebody tell me the pros and cons of having a planted tank vs. a fake plant tank??? I got a new 20gL and I'm thinking about getting it planted like my 10g but are there any pros to having it all fake?

I need to know too! In the future I wanna make my tank planted but I need to the pros and cons.

From my experience, keeping fish in a planted tank is usually a more healthy setup for them. The biggest reason is that plants devour Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. In my medium stocked heavily planted 55g my nitrates regularly drop to 0 despite my fertilizer adding a fair amount of nitrates daily. In my high light 10g my nitrate level will drop down to 0 from 30ppm in 5 hours.

On the other hand, I have to dose fertilizers daily as well as liquid co2 because of my lighting level and choice of plants.

The benefits of a planted tank are certainly a more natural look, in addition to helping filter out organic wastes to a degree in your water. Fish LOVE a planted setup as well. But that's not a good way to look at it. Planted tanks are usually the focus over fish stock, as the attractiveness of the tank focuses on the aquascape. So to say one is better than the other is somewhat irrelevant. I've seen plenty of beautiful tanks with nothing but fake decorAtions/plants. Planted tanks require much more care depending on what plants your interested in. So it's up to you!

I think when I get a 75g cichlid community that I'm going to use fake so they can't tear them as easily but I think I'll use real for the rest of the tanks I'm getting :) thanks!

I think when I get a 75g cichlid community that I'm going to use fake so they can't tear them as easily but I think I'll use real for the rest of the tanks I'm getting :) thanks!

What kind of cichlids? If your interested in dwarfs then you will not have to worry about them tearing up your plants. But the other larger SA cichlids will so up to you. You could always plant the aquarium and wait a few months until the roots really set in.

Fake plants:

-Pros
Never needs trimming or management of any kind
Will never foul the water
Does not need special lighting
Long lasting and reusable

-Cons
Will not aid in the nitrogen cycle by breaking down nitrates
Do not look as natural as real plants

Real plants:

-Pros
Completes the nitrogen cycle by breaking down nitrates in the aquarium. Thus reducing the amount of maintenance needed

Natural look and feel (Most people will say that the fish act more natural around real plants as well)

Provides extra oxygen to the water

-Cons
Needs specialized lighting (in most cases)
Can die and foul the water
Needs occasional trimming and maintenance
Can be eaten or uprooted by certain fish
Heavily planted tanks may need CO2 and/or fertilizers

What kind of cichlids? If your interested in dwarfs then you will not have to worry about them tearing up your plants. But the other larger SA cichlids will so up to you. You could always plant the aquarium and wait a few months until the roots really set in.

This is the list of fish I'm getting for it:
2- black severums
1- green severums
2- gold geophagus
2- flash pleco

I think it just looks better and it does help with using waste and uneaten food as nutrients...and it just looks cool and natural lol

Correct, just removing dead leaves now and then. Very low maintenance plants and easy to grow.

Thats the plants I was planning on having in my dream tank. Quick question: can they be adapted to brackish water by any chance?

Many plants can be "slowly" acclimated to brackish water to fresh but it has to be done over weeks by slowly increasing the salinity of the water. And I do believe both java fern and anubia can be acclimated that way.

Lastly, do plants NEED co2 and all the other supplements or can (this may sound stupid) they live on fish poop? ( basically without any special conditions or care?)

Depends on the plant. Any bias and java fern do not need co2 whatsoever. I would recommend dosing a little bit of seachem flourish every week or so, but with those plants you really don't need it. Swords and heavy root feeders are going to really appreciate root tabs as well.

I used to have all fake plants but now I have all real and love it.

They are obviously healthier for the fish and gives your aquarium a natural look. Haven't had any ammonia issues since, especially using moss balls.

I used to have all fake plants but now I have all real and love it.

They are obviously healthier for the fish and gives your aquarium a natural look. Haven't had any ammonia issues since, especially using moss balls.

How much did you pay for your moth balls?

Back
Top Bottom