Planted Predator Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CalvusAtx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 gallon heavily planted tank that currently houses some azuma goldfish fry, but I want to change it up. I'm considering a small lf oscar, one of the smaller bichirs and maybe a pair of blood parrots or severum. If anyone has any experience and/or could suggest some different options along these lines, I'm happy to experiment in my tank. Thanks!

I have calvus in my Tanganyika tanks, and they are great fish, but notoriously SLOW growers... plus I'm not sure how the plants I have would feel about the ph in Tanganyikan water.

The pickerel are cool looking, but I don't know that they could handle the temps an oscar needs.

74 plus, right? And I thought most native species needed a chiller and lower temps... my coldwater aquariums in the house stay at about 68.

Also calvus do good in alot or water ranges and you could get them midium size they will breed nicely if u get plants in ive seen it happening

Oh very cool! Are they easy to come by? How aggressive? Would they do well with an oscar and a bichir?

They pretty much just hover near the top of the tank motionless until something edible hits the water. They can be trained onto pellets, but it takes time. They are somewhat uncommon, some of the native fish retailers have them seasonally. I don't know if any are in your area locally, I don't have my field guide so I can't look at the range maps.

I think they'd be fine with an Oscar if one isn't too big to eat the other.

I haven't seen any native fish for sale here in Texas. I used to see native fish (not to mention alligators) for sale all the time in Arkansas, but nothing here. Do the pickerel breed easily in aquaria?

Well, the next time you have some for sale, please let me know... I'd be interested in one or two at 2-3". That is if you don't mind shipping.

Now you have me thinking about Natives... I'd honestly never really considered them, but I'm looking around and some are as beautiful as cichlids and just as interesting... Anyone know where to find info on setting up a US Native community in a planted tank? Lepomis megalotis is particularly interesting, but it looks like it may be a species that digs.

Back
Top Bottom