Planted tank substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ansomnia7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering what everyone suggests to use for substrate in a planted aquarium. Right now I just have gravel.

Also, should I remove plants from the pots?

Thanks!

I would reccomend eco-complete, its less than other brands and works reallllyyy well for me. And with the pots I would reccomend taking them out, but you dont have to

Right now I just have Amazonian swords and red melon swords.

Is it necessary to add CO2? Right now it just seems like an added expense. Thoughts?

I nave swords as well!! I just have eco complete, and thyre doing great!! They send out runners for me about every 1 to 2 months, I had about 9 runners on one stem!! Ppl say u need c02...dont listen to them!! Just a good subtrate and occasional flourish dosing and theyll domfine

Its true you don't need co2 to have A nice planted aquarium. But if you do want to use co2 but don't want to spend a ton of money liquid carbon is a good solution. I does API co2 booster everyday in my plans are doing great !!!

What do you do with runners? I have some right now that are just free floating because I don't know what to do with them.

Did u take them off the mother plant yet? If not leave them there until they get about 2 inches long or until they have a good root system

And if u already took them off.. I would bury it in your substate, and add some kind of a root tab...or u can also use clay pots and crush it into small pieces and bury them next to the runners

If you are trying to keep it cheap check out saf t sorb from tractor supply. Take the plants out of the pots and remove as much of the rock wool as possible. Putting the pot in a container of water will help loosen up the rock wool as well.

^^ a good cheap substrate. One downside is how dusty it is. Tractor Supply also carries black diamond, a sand like substrate $8, 50 lb bag. I use it as a cap on dirt.

Great things to consider!thanks for the pointers :)

I read that if you leave the rock wool attached it will cause root rot. Is that true?

I wouldn't go for black diamond sand, it contains little metal shrapnel which can harm your bottom feeders. U can try and rinse it out , but it never worked when I had it

Oh yeah I was reading online about it, and I heard when ppl would clean their gravelnthey wouldnget cut from it...and their bottom feeders would loose their barbels or watever their called lol

That's insane! I can't believe that it can be sold for use in tanks.

Back
Top Bottom