Planted Tank upgrade and questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's interesting that the default 1ml/10g has gotten you to 2ppm phosphate but it only gets me to .5ppm or less...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Early on I was getting 1.0 ppm phosphate. Thus, I doubled up on the macros for a while. Then I scaled back. Not sure if that is what caused the jump from 1 to 2. But it should go back down. You could try a baseline test by adding 1 mL macros to 10 gallons of treated water in another tank, Rubbermaid container, etc. See if you are getting the same 0.5 ppm as in your tank.
Just though of something...how long has your tank been running? Mine has been running with EcoComplete for about 21 months. There was an 18 month period where NO substrate vacuuming occurred. Perhaps the accumulation of fish and snail waste in the EC is contributing to the phosphate value.

I have no idea where that came from?? Glitch in the matrix. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've seen that occur every now and then here. Totally unrelated thread from 2002 would appear on the link. Sometimes would only affect the mobile app users. Weird. Blue pill, red pill thing.

It's a sign! I'm reviving the thread..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yay! Sounds like its getting better. I will order the API Phosphate test kit if it is working for you. Thanks!

Yep it's coming along!
I like my tank, but I keep getting bigger and better visions. What I want to do sooo badly is to completely redo my tank by switching out my playsand for black diamond blasting sand mixed with ADA Amazonia aqua soil, and adding this piece of driftwood that I found:
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...9-6466-4642-8667-230314DA0B54_zps0fpmdx1u.jpg
And then doing a carpet of dwarf hairgrass and add back in most of the plants that I already have (plus getting the BML :) ).
Buuuuut being unemployed I can't exactly justify doing that right now.

Early on I was getting 1.0 ppm phosphate. Thus, I doubled up on the macros for a while. Then I scaled back. Not sure if that is what caused the jump from 1 to 2. But it should go back down. You could try a baseline test by adding 1 mL macros to 10 gallons of treated water in another tank, Rubbermaid container, etc. See if you are getting the same 0.5 ppm as in your tank.
Just though of something...how long has your tank been running? Mine has been running with EcoComplete for about 21 months. There was an 18 month period where NO substrate vacuuming occurred. Perhaps the accumulation of fish and snail waste in the EC is contributing to the phosphate value.

Just saw I missed the end of this. My tank has been running for about 5 years, but about a year ago I switched from gravel to playsand. I do vacuum the sand as best as I can, but there are places that are impossible to get without picking up all my driftwood. That's a good thought, because the playsand would not absorb nutrients like the ecocomplete does. Wouldn't that also contribute to nitrates as well?

Great. Yes I have it on my older rotala stems as well.
It's more gray, and I don't think it's staghorn because it's not branching.

Tank update! Still struggling with the algae, I've lowered my photoperiod from 8 hours to 6 hours, not sure what else to do :/ my Vesuvius leaves are dying at the tips as well. I thought dry ferts were supposed to fix all these things!
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...1-80BF-4EB8-8FFC-A4205622D4EF_zpsgfs45gsi.jpg
At least my water sprite is doing well haha.
I got an aponogeton crispus yesterday. I haven't planted it yet though, I think I'll need to do a WC/trimming/reorganization today to make a place for it :)

Thanks! I like the new profile pic :)

What kind of Rainbows are those Khuli? They are beautiful(blurry but beautiful)!

They're dwarf neons (praecox) rainbows. And yes they are very active and love photobombing!
I think I'll change my profile pic to one now that you mention it :)

Back
Top Bottom