Planted Tank with Frogs/Salamanders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquafreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello :D

What substrate should I use for a (minor) planted tank to include some large rocks and frogs/salamanders? I'm really looking to use larger gravel rock. Is this possible (to root the plants well enough)?

I am using an undergravel filtration system with an air pump. Looks like I'll have 40 watts of lighting for a 40 gallon aquarium (50% white light/50% UV light). I'll probably burry a small heater to maintain 78 degrees year round.

Thanks!

Can't comment on frogs/salamanders.

However most plants will not like a UGF at all. the plate can interfere with rooting, and if it doesn't the plants will root thru it. Thus every time you replant, you destroy the roots, and every year when you have to pull the UGF to clean the plate, you destroy the roots.

50/50 lighting is not for plants. is it 50 UV, or 50 Actinic...because I've never seen a daylight/UV bulb, but I've also never looked for one, so it could be a normal reptile bulb for all I know.

but 50/50 daylight/actinic isn't for plants. you want 100% daylight. Without it, you have .5wpg and will have a hard time keeping java ferns growing, let alone any more light intensive species.

I assume that you are going for a paludarium, (as the vast majority of frogs and salamanders are at least semi-terrestrial and require a reasonable amount of dry land)? What species of amphibia are you considering?

Back
Top Bottom