Planted Vs. Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nu-Nu the eel said:
Lol what do you mean by that? Tons of critters live in the rock and its very interesting to look at. In freshwater there really isnt much to look at unless they are pond snails... :/

Agreed... Trust me you'll be doing a decent bit of research looking up critters you find in you tank all the time that you have no idea how they got there lol

TankMan said:
Well someone said the sand "comes alive" lol

It DOES!! Bristleworms, crabs, and snails arise from the sand! It's like an invert apocalypse lol then Shrimp and crabs come out of places you'd never expect. I set up a nano tank using dry sand and rock then I found worms and other stuff coming out of the rock!

That was me said it! :)

It does come alive!! You can see worms popping out, pods moving about, crabs and certain snails and starfish live under the sand so at night the sand starts to move showing life that hides under the sand during the daytime :)

Also all kinds of shrimp come out of hiding to forage on leftovers. Sexy Shrimp, peppermint shrimp, blood shrimp etc... It's truly and awesome site. The only shrimp I see during the day are my cleaner shrimp.

So yes... At night it's a different tank. While the corals have closed up a bit and the fish have slowed down there is still a lot of movement and it's very interesting to watch under moonlights.

Convict2161 said:
That was me said it! :)

It does come alive!! You can see worms popping out, pods moving about, crabs and certain snails and starfish live under the sand so at night the sand starts to move showing life that hides under the sand during the daytime :)

Also all kinds of shrimp come out of hiding to forage on leftovers. Sexy Shrimp, peppermint shrimp, blood shrimp etc... It's truly and awesome site. The only shrimp I see during the day are my cleaner shrimp.

So yes... At night it's a different tank. While the corals have closed up a bit and the fish have slowed down there is still a lot of movement and it's very interesting to watch under moonlights.

That almost makes me want to go SW. Just by what you said.

Is there anything like that for FW?

One more for corals. One reason that there are a lot of people voting for corals is that it's a lot easier to make pretty compared to a planted. You really need to know what your doing for a planted to work out, I especially love discus setups. Saltwater is a whole different ball game, believe it or not, once you know what your doing, it's easier than planted. I've had both, I know from experience.

And to the above post, the tank is really completely different at night, corals go into feeding mode, small crustaceans that breed in your tank with out you exerting energy come out, everything is crazy.

But what causes more maintenance? Some tricky plants or those delicate coral?

I cant say corals are easier to care for... Alot of things can go weong that will easily kill a coral or piss it off. I think plants are easier just because they dont seem to be effected by as many factors as corals are

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I cant say corals are easier to care for... Alot of things can go weong that will easily kill a coral or piss it off. I think plants are easier just because they dont seem to be effected by as many factors as corals are

I'd agree there is no chemical warfare to worry about with plants (I don't think) but place the wrong coral next to another and forget about it. Also If some corals die off they can release toxins in your tank. I think corals are more difficult and sensitive then plants. JMO, a lot can go wrong in a heavily stocked tank with corals.

In the end though I guess a heavily planted tank with ferts and co etc to worry about may lend itself a chore also.

Some plants though DO suffocate others with roots though (I think). Maybe I could get some backup on that statement. But not sure 0.0

TankMan said:
Some plants though DO suffocate others with roots though (I think). Maybe I could get some backup on that statement. But not sure 0.0

I am not too sure about that but the reason I said planted is a little more matience is the c02, trimming, fert wet or dry micro and macro nutrients, tabs, trimming, propagating, and the extensive algae battle if you don't get the correct mixture of all mentioned.

Corals I love I enjoy them more but can be just as tricky but many things can go wrong too but still I find way more rewarding and is still the first tank I show off

Keeping both plants and corals are easy if you know what you're doing. Corals are easier if your system is set up right. Once its up, then you kind of cruise and let them grow. More maintenance with the plants. The many members of my local aquarium society does more plants than corals since its more "fun" to maintain and its also cheaper. Some of their saltwater tanks are up for many months or years and its the last tank they think about, but its the first tank I look at.

I prefer planted, Just because it is more in tune with My lifestyle. I imagine If I Grew up In a Salt water environment, Then I would probably lean that way. I still admire the beauty of SW. But then again I want More than just visuals from My Fish. I deal with Planted for the almost instant gratification, Plus I am somewhat of an environmetalist, I get inspired when I look at My Tank(s) and see Greem.

This is a very interesting thread due to the fact i'm caught in an internal debate whether or not to take the leap into saltwater. I'd like to hear more actually.

skywhitney said:
This is a very interesting thread due to the fact i'm caught in an internal debate whether or not to take the leap into saltwater. I'd like to hear more actually.

Join the salty side!! Whatcha wanna know?

I say planted tanks are better. You can have schools of amazing fish with the lush green plants. Plus planted tanks are "patriotic" you have the red, white and blue flag fish, neon tetras, and guppies. With saltwater you need to worry about calcium, salinity, ect.

paytertot said:
This is starting to sound like a middle school twilight brawl lol.
Team Edward!! No team Jacob!! Lmao :lol: XD

If thats the case, kill me now! Lol

Back
Top Bottom