Planting New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Case

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Heya.
I'm pretty darn new to tank planting. I have a small Fluval Edge 6 gal that I plan to put a Dwarf Puffer and a few oto catfish in. I want to get it heavily planted with a verity of plant types and heights. I've done a bit of research on what plants might work, but I'd most deff like some second opinions.

Broad/Narrow leaf Ludwigia
Dwarf Sagittaria
Jungle Vallicheria
Wisteria
Bacopa
Java Moss/Fern
a Marimo or two

I only have some Amazon Sword right now. I've been told it can overrun a small tank pretty fast. The associate at the pet shop wasn't very knowledgable on plants, so I'm not actually sure about that.

Ahahaa, then I'll be extra sure to keep updating with pictures!
Actually, i just moved my guppies over to this tank got now to give the plants some nutrition. Gunna head to the pet store tomorrow to get one or two plants, most likely, so I'll post some pictures when they're planted. :3

Not sure about the others but jungle val and the sword will get too tall for a fluval edge.

We have a Fluval 6 and if your using the lighting on it you have to stick with low light tolerant plants. We have Bacopa Australis, Ambulia, Java Fern Wendilov, Water Spirte, Dwarf Sag, and Bolbitus. They grow but very very slowly. Scratch off the ludwigia and jungle val.

I've been considering getting higher voltage lights. Would that help at all?

You mean removing the light that comes with the tank and putting new lighting on? That will work but can't tell you how to do it.

I'll deff consider those TruLumans. I really am interested in those, both the white and the lunar version. I'll save up to get those before buying more plants.

I think I've settled on using Java moss, java fern, dwarf sag, water sprite, a few wendi's and maybe some baby dwarf tears. its a pretty small tank so a few of each should be more than enough for heavy underwater foliage once the plants grow more.

Actually Dwarf baby tears are one of the few carpeting plants that can grow and tolerate liquid carbon well but you will have to do either CO2 or liquid carbon along with ferts in a higher light tank.

What's needed to keep a tank nice and healthy in terms of plants? I have some fertilizer, but what else is recommended?
On a side note, I'm saving up to get those trueLuman led lights; one white strip and two small lunar ones. Will that be enough to keep a tank with Dwarf Sag, wendtii, water sprite, wisteria, dwarf grasshair or baby dwarf tears, java fern and moss alive and thriving? I plan to keep only my 4 guppies in the tank for now until it matures more before getting the actual fish I want. I'm not quite sure if I should go with the Dwarf puffer or not, anymore. I've heard mixed reviews on having them in such a small tank. Should I consider getting a small school of fish going instead?

It depends on the type of tank you run as to what it needs. For instance if you have a high light tank with lots of plants you need to use liquid carbon or CO2 and be on a good fertilizer dosing plan such as PPS-Pro or El. If you only have a low light tank with low light tolerant plants all you would need was a liquid fert to dose once to twice a week to keep plants healthy and happy.

I'm planning to have mostly low to moderate light plants. I have a NutroFin Plant Grow, but I don't know how good that is compared to other fertilizers.

Most liquid ferts are micro nutrients. That one is a micro mix that doesn't have boron or molybdenum in it. If you go medium light personally I'd go with dry ferts. They are very inexpensive and you get a balanced macro and micro dosing plan. I'd also think about using liquid carbon like Excel to aid in plant photosynthesis and growth. That combo with medium light would be great for alot of different plants.

Is there any particular brand you would reccomend?

This is the dry fert package I use.... Micro & Macro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

These are the dosing bottles that work great... Fertilizer Dispenser | 1000 mL (32 oz) | Green Leaf Aquariums

Here is a thread that talks about doing dry ferts with PPS-Pro dosing plan (only read the original post for the information needed).... Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central

Back
Top Bottom