Planting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coleallensmom

Planted Tank Enthusiast
I just added a bunch of new plants to my tank. All of them had a good amount of roots started when I bought them with exception of some bacopa which was just a group of cuttings. It's been a week now and every day when I wake up, more of the bacopa is floating. I gather it and stick it back in the substrate and then do it all over again the next morning. Any tips for me? How do I get it to stay down/start growing roots so it can anchor itself?

is it a gravel or sand substrate that you have. i found to get my plants in my gravel tank to stay i just put large piles of gravel around them and hoped for the best or if you have any larger stones to sit against the plants until they start growing their roots :)

It helps to leave some of the leaves on the stem that is being planted so there is more resistance to floating free of the substrate. It's also helpful to plant them at a 45 degree angle so that the weight of the substrate is holding the stems in place, rather than being able to float straight up with little to no resistance.

It's part pea gravel and part Flourite substrate. The cuttings just don't seem like they want to stay put! :puppydogeyes:

i had this problem with a plant similar to yours, i just kept replanting mine and eventually they died or grew roots. i also let them stay in the tank un-planted and some started to grow roots, i then planted them and they stayed down, try that.

It helps to leave some of the leaves on the stem that is being planted so there is more resistance to floating free of the substrate. It's also helpful to plant them at a 45 degree angle so that the weight of the substrate is holding the stems in place, rather than being able to float straight up with little to no resistance.

Faile gave you pretty much what I always do with cuttings.

The more O2 your plants produce the harder it will be to make them stay. Burying some of the leaves will help while they produce roots.

You can also just let the plant float on the surface and it will produce roots that you can then bury as well.

Thank you to everyone! I buried them a bit deeper yesterday and there were no escapees overnight. Hopefully they start growing and I won't have to fight them anymore!

I did however find a baby snail this afternoon that must have been a hitchhiker on one of the new plants. I have Zebra nerites and do not have brackish water, so this definitely a newcomer to the tank and I'm clueless as to just what kind it is. I tried to get a picture of it, but it was tiny and a fast mover. Possiblities? While cute at such a small size, I don't want a snail infestation, so I am wondering if I should I remove him asap?!

Back
Top Bottom