Plants for oxygen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

differenter2000

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can I used plants for oxygen in my cichlid tank instead of a bubbler? I so far have a corkscrew plant (that's the plant I'd be using) because they are the cheapest I can buy just in case my cichlid decide to eat and tear apart the plants. So far the one I have has been left alone. How many plants will I need in a 30g tank? Are corkscrew plants okay with brackish water? And is gravel okay with these plants?

I would just go the route of the air bubbler plants most likely wouldn't be efficient enough

Sent from my D6603 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

9/10 times the filter current is enough to supply plenty of oxygenation to the water.

I float hornwort and water Sprite in my Cichlid tank solely to help with nitrates.

Caleb

Can I used plants for oxygen in my cichlid tank instead of a bubbler? I so far have a corkscrew plant (that's the plant I'd be using) because they are the cheapest I can buy just in case my cichlid decide to eat and tear apart the plants. So far the one I have has been left alone. How many plants will I need in a 30g tank? Are corkscrew plants okay with brackish water? And is gravel okay with these plants?

Surface aggitation allows for gas exchange and does not have to be much.

sit in silence...

My filter is a whisper filter and doesn't seem to have much of a current, is it enough for oxygen? I also do water changes weekly.

My filter is a whisper filter and doesn't seem to have much of a current, is it enough for oxygen? I also do water changes weekly.

You can add an air stone but the whisper should do well enough...still water won't allow for gas exchange,so long as you have minimal movement on the surface you should be fine..what's your stocking list like?

sit in silence...

I have an air stone. Sorry i feel stupid for asking but... What's stocking list? Is that what fish I have? I can't remember all the names (I'll have to look in my notes somewhere) but I have one jewel cichlid, one aturatus (probably spelled that wrong) one peacock one desmondie (again I spelled that wrong) an albino zebra and a common pelco. I know 30g is too small for them but they are juveniles right now and I'm looking for a 55g or more to put them in.

Yeah you most likely don't even need an airstone I thought you might have a cichlid that perfers higher oxygenated water

Sent from my D6603 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay, so my cichlids should be okay? I don't wanna come home with all my cichlids dead ?

Back
Top Bottom