Plants outcompeting algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jetajockey

come get me tang police!
After browsing through this forum a bit I've noticed that in multiple places people seem to reiterate a concept that when things are going well, plants outcompete algae for nutrients in the tank.

Anyone care to explain how this is possible? Or is it just regurgitated info?

After browsing through this forum a bit I've noticed that in multiple places people seem to reiterate a concept that when things are going well, plants outcompete algae for nutrients in the tank.

Anyone care to explain how this is possible? Or is it just regurgitated info?

Good question ... I'm actually curious myself now. Did you get a chance to read this thread below? It's from 05 and someone asked the same question.
Botany is not my expertise.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/how-do-plants-outcompete-algae-in-a-fertilized-a-58263.html

I haven't, thanks.

The chemical warfare, aka allelopathy, has been a somewhat hot topic, and I honestly think in recent years it has been dismissed, but I could be wrong.

With subjects like this there are so many variables that honestly no one really knows, but I think I fall in with the idea that plants and algae don't necessarily compete at all.

They both have their own preferences and in nature, some thrive in places where others don't. I think that algae's biggest limiting factor is light.

I just don't get the 'outcompete' thing because if plants sucked up all the nutrients to leave none available for algae, the tank would be bottoming out right? It would also mean that E.I. dosing routines would not work, since they rely on keeping a constant amount of nutrients in the tank (to avoid having nutrients as a limiting factor for growth).

I haven't, thanks.

The chemical warfare, aka allelopathy, has been a somewhat hot topic, and I honestly think in recent years it has been dismissed, but I could be wrong.

With subjects like this there are so many variables that honestly no one really knows, but I think I fall in with the idea that plants and algae don't necessarily compete at all.

They both have their own preferences and in nature, some thrive in places where others don't. I think that algae's biggest limiting factor is light.

I just don't get the 'outcompete' thing because if plants sucked up all the nutrients to leave none available for algae, the tank would be bottoming out right? It would also mean that E.I. dosing routines would not work, since they rely on keeping a constant amount of nutrients in the tank (to avoid having nutrients as a limiting factor for growth).

Yeah, I have to agree about light being a limiting factor ... What's one of the first things we tell newbies who have an algae outbreak ... BLACKOUT.

I'll admit this is one area I'm not as versed. Aside from some Brown and slight spot algae ... I haven't seen any new algae ... and the Brown I can
live with.

Curious to see other responses.

I don't think this is a new idea. If you read "ecology of the planted aquarium" by Diana Walstad she explains in detail how plants compete with algae in a planted aquarium. If you have lush and healthy plants you can keep algae at bay.

Back
Top Bottom