Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes. They do.

If you ask more specific questions we can be more help :)

Yep. What are your lights, substrate, and ferts? Im sure we can recommend some good plants for ya!

Well I'll be changing my tank into a planted one in two weeks. the plants I am looking at are the tiger-lotus,the purple waffle,dragon tongue,African fern bolbitis and the val-corkscrew. What lights should I get for them and how many watts. Btw it's a 20 gallon

Well I'll be changing my tank into a planted one in two weeks. the plants I am looking at are the tiger-lotus,the purple waffle,dragon tongue,African fern bolbitis and the val-corkscrew. What lights should I get for them and how many watts. Btw it's a 20 gallon

What are purple waffles, dragon tongues, and African fern bolbitis? Scientific names? Once I know I can help you out.

They are the kinds of plants make sure you look up the the name and aquatic plant after. For example tiger lotus aquatic plant.

Looks like the purple waffle you mentioned might be Hemigraphis Exotica (this is a scientific name). In that case it is not a true aquatic plant and will not survive under water.
Ferts mean fertilizers. It is necessary to add them to a planted tank so the plants can have the proper nutrients to grow.
Maybe try doing a bit more reading on this forum so you can learn more.

Dragon tongue and purple waffle aren't true aquatic plants. They'll rot after a while. As for the others, they are pretty low key. I would get a dual T5 fixture, with bulbs as close to 6,500 K as you can. What are your plans for substrate?

A good substrate is Eco-complete. It should run you about $25 for a 20lb bag. I would recommend 2 bags but you could get by with 1. As for ferts, I would get seachem flourish comprehensive, it costs like $5 a bottle or something like that and will last you a long time. Get some root tabs too, especially if you get swords or other heavy root feeders. Those don't cost much either.

Does the lights light hood completly cove the top of the tank. Thanks for all the help. Any good plant recommendations

No the light shouldn't. I would get a fixture that has the little arms that support it on the ends of the tank. As for plants, this setup gives you a lot of options. Maybe some stargrass, water wisteria, crypts, dwarf sag. All of these plants will go wild in this setup. Except for the crypts, they don't grow as fast.

I don't like dealing with CO2. If you do start getting algae, cut down how long your light is on. Wait a few weeks. If you still have algae issues then start dosing some excel, it's liquid carbon.

Back
Top Bottom