Platies dropping fry in quarantine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmedalis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all.
I have been cycling my 10 gallon now since end of September.
While monitoring the numbers on it, and as things settled in, I've decided to get some new fish, which like my water.
Tap water runs at pH: 7.8, GH: 8 dH, KH: 4 dH, Nitrate: 5-10 ppm.
There's not a lot to be done about the nitrate in the tap water, it leaches into everything from all the farms.

I have a small (2.5 GalUS) tank set up with a simple PenPlax Small World filter (powered by a small air pump), a small terra cotta pot, and a weighted down plastic plant.

I added a trio of Variegated Platy (Xiphophorus variatus), 2 females, one male; the largest, a female, is about 1.5 inches long.

Just this morning, one of the females dropped fry, which i wasn't expecting quite so soon. When I discovered them, most were already dead. I siphoned them out (turkey basters are wonderful tools) and discovered 3 that were still alive. I think there may be one or two still in hiding.

What can I do with them? If the platy were living in my main tank, they would have been removed to this one for birthing, then the fry would remain until they grew large enough to be re-intrduced, or sold/traded/whatever.

I'd like to keep the trio of mature platies in quarantine for at least a week, if not longer, to make sure they can handle my weird water. I thought any fry would have sought shelter in the plant or under the pot, but I guess the adults got to them anyhow.

Is there a save place to move them to, even if it's just a plastic bucket until the QT gets freed up?
((Thanks in advance, reading all the great info on here has helped a ton with setting up my tank :D ))

You could try floating some hornwort on the top of the tank to give them a place to hide. I'd suggest a breeder net, but since its a 2.5 gallon tank the net would take up half of it. That wouldn't leave much room for the adult platies...

I think I'd just try to give them a place to hide and hope for the best.

Good luck!

You could put them in some kind of clear container, like a fishbowl, and park it under an incandescent light that will keep the water warm. Change some of the water out every day until you have a tank freed up for them. They do grow relatively quickly, but if you don't have that many it could work.

When I get home from work, I will transfer them into a large shallow container, and I will see if I can fit some plastic plants into it. I am hoping that large surface area, combined with shallow water depth will provide adequate O2. I've been reading just about any and all threads I can find on fry-raising. :? I'll see if I can make a quick run to LFS to see if they have any thing to separate that 2.5Gal, and perhaps get some more "bushier" plants. Anyone know where to find Java Moss (seems to be fry-friendly, and super-hardy), my LFS never seems to have it.

Anyone know where to find Java Moss (seems to be fry-friendly, and super-hardy), my LFS never seems to have it.
Mine never do either. I have seen it only online.

Its pretty readily available here in Arizona, lately. I've seen it in a few stores. Maybe its a warmer climate thing? Dunno...

Arizona Gardens (online) had some on their website (http://www.azgardens.com), but you have to get the order in on Monday for shipping the same week. I'd just pick up some hornwort and float that in the top. That's what I have in my breeder net and my little fry stay in it most of the time.

Bernie owns a fish store in Dayton, Tn. He has Java Moss in many of his tanks. He also has his own web site. fishstoretn.com he does sellship some things but I don't know about plants. You could try to contact him to find out.

Well, so far the fry are doing ok. I have them in a shallow dish, tomorrow, heading to LFS for some plants.
Right now, I've got to figure out what killed one of the danios in my 10-gal.
Last nite (3am Wed.) they were all fine, but at 11am, the larger one was upside-down, seemed paralyzed on the one side, and was red around the gill covers.
I am hoping some strange disease didn't strike, as the danio's just got moved out of QT this past Friday. :(

Whats the ammonia/nitrite readings on the tank? You mention nitrates but not the others. Red streaking can be a sign of ammonia poisoning, discolored gills can be a sign of nitrite poisoning.

well i actually had my first set of fry recently too and the hornwort on top of my tank is working wonders. i wasn't planning for them so by the time i found them they had already fended for themself i just needed some fry food.

java moss - never enev seen the stuff. no where in buffalo ny area has seemed to have it and i still am not to fond of buying online.

question - i was thinking about useing a tarakata pot in one of my tanks, thinking about breaking it would look nice and nateral, but my mother does alot of outdoor planting and said she is useually haveing problems with them falling apart and crumbeling with moisture so i passed on the idea and went for normal rock. is it working for you and have anyone else had big problems/success with them???

So far the pots are fine for me. :) knock on wood. I've got one that is approx 4 inches long lying down in my QT tank, and a larger one I "accidentally" broke to make some cave areas in my 10 gallon. They don't seem to have any problems being submerged, once they've become saturated. They do tend to bubble a bit as they soak up water, but after that, they are quite stable, IME.
I was hoping some algae would start to grow on the top of my caves, but as yet, no such luck.
Only thing I would suggest is to wash them really well with hot water to get off any price stickers when you buy them, and if you bust them into pieces, sand down and sharp edges or bury those edges deep in the gravel.
<edit>
Here's a link to a photo of the terra cotta pot in my 10 gallon:
http://insanity.lost-angel.com/~christopher/gallery/fishtank/DSCN0248

Back
Top Bottom