Platies Fighting :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish lover1425

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Platies at fighting and I don't know why. I have all males in my tank. I have two Platies, three neon tetras, and one guppy. They have all gotten along perfectly until now. The platies are making the noen really jumpy, more than there normal behaviour. I keep my tank clean. The pet store says I have the right amount of fish for how big my tank is, so I don't know what to do. I've read, and it says it could be territorial issues or breeding, but there's no females, and theris plenty of space :( please help me because I don't like seeing them nip and attack each other :(

There could be a number of reasons for it, the biggest being possibility the tank is to small, what size is it? It could be territorial, would be easily fixed with a decor change. But from the sounds I lean more towards a sexual frustration between the platies. I know it sounds off, and people will disagree, but it's happened to me before. All my females died off at one time, and I didn't replace them. 4 months after the females passing, I noticed my male platies would attack each other as well as other fish. I finally decided to get more fish, added more females (following the two female to 1 male rule) and within a couple days they stopped fighting. This has happened on two different occasions. I would definitely add tank size so we can make sure that's not the issue, I would also in the mean time just rearrange your decor if possible to start. Don't add females (unless you want to) until all else has failed. Good luck!

There could be a number of reasons for it, the biggest being possibility the tank is to small, what size is it? It could be territorial, would be easily fixed with a decor change. But from the sounds I lean more towards a sexual frustration between the platies. I know it sounds off, and people will disagree, but it's happened to me before. All my females died off at one time, and I didn't replace them. 4 months after the females passing, I noticed my male platies would attack each other as well as other fish. I finally decided to get more fish, added more females (following the two female to 1 male rule) and within a couple days they stopped fighting. This has happened on two different occasions. I would definitely add tank size so we can make sure that's not the issue, I would also in the mean time just rearrange your decor if possible to start. Don't add females (unless you want to) until all else has failed. Good luck!

Awesome!! Thank you!! I will try rearranging the decor, because. Have a few different plants and such. Its a ten gallon tank, or ten of whatever fish tanks are measured in :p I feel awful not knowing enough :S

IMO your tank isn't over stocked, but very very close to it. When we say cycled, it more means have you completed the nitrogen cycle. It usually takes about a week or two, sometimes longer, from setting up to the cycle completing. How long has your tank been set up? And your welcome for the advice, don't worry about not knowing enough, it comes with time, and that's what we are here for :)

I have had my tank for two and a half years. I don't know if this will help, but I have a bio carb and a bio clear filters, one of each. And then when I clean the tank, I put in 5 ml of biological aquarium supplement and biological aquarium cleaner, and the the tap water conditioner. The neons have been in the tank since I first got it, and the one guppy and Platies have been in there since September.

IMO your tank isn't over stocked, but very very close to it. When we say cycled, it more means have you completed the nitrogen cycle. It usually takes about a week or two, sometimes longer, from setting up to the cycle completing. How long has your tank been set up? And your welcome for the advice, don't worry about not knowing enough, it comes with time, and that's what we are here for :)

I would disagree that is a very heavy bioload from the platies for a 10g plus the platies get bout 4inches i believe not alit of room for them to swim around

I would disagree that is a very heavy bioload from the platies for a 10g plus the platies get bout 4inches i believe not alit of room for them to swim around

Okay, there a hare longer than my neon tetras, and they haven't grown much since I got them, so what should I do? Without having them die, or clean the tank to frequently?

Ive had platies for years, and I have yet to have a platy over 3", and only a couple at that, my swords yea, but not a regular platy, so bioload isnt as heavy as you think, but tes its still there so with proper maintenance there wouldn't be a problem with it. As for all the additives your adding for cleaning, they really shouldn't be needed unless you're having issues with algae even then most of it wouldn't be needed. How often do you add them, that could be the issue there

For now, just rearrange decor, cut back on adding the cleaners and supplements if you can, and see how they do over the next day or two

Uhhmm, probably every three four weeks, algae is not a problem. I initially got the stuff because my water would get kinda dark instead of clearer.

Ok so cleaners shouldn't be too bad then if its once a month or so, but just to be safe cut back on them maybe use just the cleaner and only when you feel it's need, ie if water gets darker or cloudy

Okay, there a hare longer than my neon tetras, and they haven't grown much since I got them, so what should I do? Without having them die, or clean the tank to frequently?

A good gravel vac every water change so once a week of about 25-50% would help alot do you have a test kit since your doing a fish in cycle you are going to have to change water frequently posdibly couple times a day to keep ammonia below .5ppm atleast .25 or lower until your cycled

Theyre no longer in the cycle, they already cycled a couple years ago when it was set up, then went through a mini cycle 3 or 4 months ago when added the guppy and platies. Cycle should definitely be over, so I'd stick to doing the once a week 25% water change maybe a little more but don't recommend 50% now especially with your fish fighting, they'll really fight in the smaller space. If you can though hit up a petsmart or petco and have your water tested (they do it free) and maybe buy a bottle of prime if the tell you nitrates, nitrites or ammonia are high. Good luck though let us know how things go

Okay, thank you!! Yeah, I clean the gravel... when I clean it...i always get water in my mouth :S but thank you!! I will get my water tested!! And I will update you in the next little bit!! Thank you so very very much for all your help!! :)

Okay, thank you!! Yeah, I clean the gravel... when I clean it...i always get water in my mouth :S but thank you!! I will get my water tested!! And I will update you in the next little bit!! Thank you so very very much for all your help!! :)

((From sucking the water into the tube to get it going(about getting the water in my mouth :S ))

Back
Top Bottom