Platies, mollys and angel fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One more question. If I didn't get the angel fish how many small fish like platies and Molly's could I put in there? I kinda want some Guppies?

Guppies would be a great addition i find live bearers fun to watch and you have a much wider variety to choose from. I think from what i can remember its said the general rule of thumb is one inch of fish for every gallon can't really remember but i think that's what it was. So if each fish was 1 inch in length you could get 29. I don't always feel this rule is true for every situation. I think with fish like guppies its alright to have more. A friend of mine has a 20 gallon with too many guppies to even count. So i suppose its really up to you how many you want and when you feel there are enough.

Thanks I'm going to petsmart tomorrow so I might get a few!:) someone said something about A pearl gourami? I tried dwarf ones but they died:(

Btw I have a beta in this tank now. But how big would you say it is? My beta is not looking well:( he's really old.

Attachments

• image-256868609.jpg
    image-256868609.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 104
Ive had angels in with my mollies and platys its fine although you may have very few fry from your mollies and platys angels love em.
However a 29 gallon is too small for an angelfish you want at the least a 40 gallon tank angels can get pretty big. secondly you should always have more than one angel in a tank they are very social and tend to stay in groups. with your current set up i probably wouldn't add an angelfish it may get stressed and get overly aggressive with your other fish.
The internet claims you can house one angelfish in a 29 gallon. I personally just upgraded from a 29 to a 55 for my angel. First pic of her in the 29 (don’t judge my water was a little low lol) 2nd + 3rd pic of her in the 55. She’s never been skittish and knows me well but once she got in that 55 she changed. She’s definitely happier. Even a 29 gallon tall imo isn’t fair for even just one angel. They get way too big

Attachments

• IMG_5881.jpeg
    IMG_5881.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6065.jpeg
    IMG_6065.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6253.jpeg
    IMG_6253.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 4
In my experience when i kept them alone in a small tank they dominated everything else and would attack other tank mates ( mollies and platys) willingly especially during feeding. Not only that but they quickly outgrew the tank kinda mean to keep an adult angel alone in a small tank they really enjoy more swimming space and are so social with other angels and build more personality when kept with other angels.
When ever i kept one alone it tended to be boring never doing much or being too aggressive. When I put them with other angels that would completely change.

In the wild these fish are not solitary so you can only assume that in aquaria they should not be kept as a solitary fish having others of the same species is always a good idea for fish that live in groups in the wild as they still have that instinct in them just like dogs.
Mine hasn’t ever attacked my other fish in fact they swim over her face and stuff to compete for food and she’s pretty submissive. Occasionally she’ll chase them out of her little corner but even that she doesn’t try to hurt them she chases them out then returns to her corner

Mine hasn’t ever attacked my other fish in fact they swim over her face and stuff to compete for food and she’s pretty submissive. Occasionally she’ll chase them out of her little corner but even that she doesn’t try to hurt them she chases them out then returns to her corner
Angelfish personalities have changed since their domestication. I've bred literally hundreds of pairs of domestic and wild caught Angels and have seen different personalities in many fish. You are lucky that your fish hasn't tried eating any of your other fish but I've had Angels almost choke on Guppies they shouldn't have tried eating yet they did and it almost cost them their lives. I've had fish that beat the snot out of their mates before spawning with them and others that have been sweethearts and very accommodating to multiple mates. What I've learned is that you just can't make a generalized comment about these fish anymore. The best you can do is share your experience with your fish in your setup and end it with " your experiences may vary." ;)
As for tank size minimums, that too will vary. I've produced over 1 million angelfish for the market and they were mostly bred in 10 gallon tanks. Some of my larger veiltail Angels needed 20 highs due to their fins being so long but they were few. You can see some of my fish and read about some of my experiences here: Wigglers 2: Birth of a hatchery & everything Angels

If you want an even larger sample of the variety of things Angels do, you can read about them in this thread: Wigglers At Last!!!!! ( This was an ongoing discussion between professional and hobbyist Angelfish breeders so a lot of experiences were shared. ) (y)

Angelfish personalities have changed since their domestication. I've bred literally hundreds of pairs of domestic and wild caught Angels and have seen different personalities in many fish. You are lucky that your fish hasn't tried eating any of your other fish but I've had Angels almost choke on Guppies they shouldn't have tried eating yet they did and it almost cost them their lives. I've had fish that beat the snot out of their mates before spawning with them and others that have been sweethearts and very accommodating to multiple mates. What I've learned is that you just can't make a generalized comment about these fish anymore. The best you can do is share your experience with your fish in your setup and end it with " your experiences may vary." ;)
As for tank size minimums, that too will vary. I've produced over 1 million angelfish for the market and they were mostly bred in 10 gallon tanks. Some of my larger veiltail Angels needed 20 highs due to their fins being so long but they were few. You can see some of my fish and read about some of my experiences here: Wigglers 2: Birth of a hatchery & everything Angels

If you want an even larger sample of the variety of things Angels do, you can read about them in this thread: Wigglers At Last!!!!! ( This was an ongoing discussion between professional and hobbyist Angelfish breeders so a lot of experiences were shared. ) (y)
So definitely get that they all have different personalities. I was hoping to add another angel to my 55 and went to purchase one but they had 2 and they were both beat up really bad so my idiot heart decided to get them both and nurse them to health in the 29 then add them to my 30. Well obviously I didn’t do my homework prior to bc the 2 ended up turning on each other by the time I figured out what was actually happening I lost 1 and then I just rehomed the other one bc I was too fearful to put it with the angel I’ve had a while. She’s so docile and sweet and I didn’t want her having to fight for her life. Especially since once I did research it said they could get along til all of a sudden they don’t and one or more can potentially lose their life in a matter of overnight. The one I rehomed is doing really well with mollies as well. And it wasn’t ever housed with mollies at the store I bought it from or in my 29.

So definitely get that they all have different personalities. I was hoping to add another angel to my 55 and went to purchase one but they had 2 and they were both beat up really bad so my idiot heart decided to get them both and nurse them to health in the 29 then add them to my 30. Well obviously I didn’t do my homework prior to bc the 2 ended up turning on each other by the time I figured out what was actually happening I lost 1 and then I just rehomed the other one bc I was too fearful to put it with the angel I’ve had a while. She’s so docile and sweet and I didn’t want her having to fight for her life. Especially since once I did research it said they could get along til all of a sudden they don’t and one or more can potentially lose their life in a matter of overnight. The one I rehomed is doing really well with mollies as well. And it wasn’t ever housed with mollies at the store I bought it from or in my 29.
55 not 30

Love the fish hatchery omg! No wonder you have little fighters on your hands 😜 my angel just came from a grocery store haha

Also how many angels are you housing in a 10 gallon for their entire lives? This is your business these aren’t really your pets so I really wouldn’t condone people housing these fish in small tanks. If you had to quarantine it or if it had babies that’s one thing to put it in a 10 but to have a happy healthy angel that lives out its entire lifespan in captivity that’s not really the right way to go. Just saying.

Also how many angels are you housing in a 10 gallon for their entire lives? This is your business these aren’t really your pets so I really wouldn’t condone people housing these fish in small tanks. If you had to quarantine it or if it had babies that’s one thing to put it in a 10 but to have a happy healthy angel that lives out its entire lifespan in captivity that’s not really the right way to go. Just saying.
What I was getting at is that it's all situational. Angelfish by nature are schooling fish and generally schooling fish do not do well when alone. That is no longer true with the domesticated Angel. Angels also live in a hierarchy society so unless they are a mated pair, 2 is not really a good number as one will always want to be " king of the hill." Even just 3 can be an issue as #3 in the hierarchy gets the most abuse. They truly have become a one or many fish. No, I wouldn't raise an Angel in a 10 gal for it's entire life but that doesn't mean it can't live in one for a period of time in it's life. As I said, it's all situational. If you look around the web, you'll see so many posts stating that pairs have to be kept in larger tanks ( 20s, 29s, 40 breeders, etc) . That's just not true. Unhappy fish don't breed so mine must have been really happy in their environments. ;) (y)

Back
Top Bottom