Platies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LdIZzY

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone know how many Platies I can fit in a 10 gallon tank?

I would say around 4-5 alone could fit into a 10 gallon

BUT, if you don't get all of the same sex (I would recommend only getting females if you were to do just all of one sex because males will fight In My Experience) you looking for a lot of breeding (Very prolific breeders).

I would only recommend 2-3. If they are the only thing in there, maybe 4, but I think that would be pushing it because of swimming space limitations IMO. I agree about getting all the same gender unless you want babies.

Uh oh... I have 6 (2 males 4 females) and 2 Cory's... They seem to be fine though?!!

Uh oh... I have 6 (2 males 4 females) and 2 Cory's... They seem to be fine though?!!
Ouch. They would probably be happier with more room. Also, corys should be in groups of at least 4, 6 is preferred and most species should be kept in a 20g minimum. IMO, you should rehome a male and a female platy and the corys.
This isn't meant to be mean, I am just saying that just because a fish is swimming and alive doesn't mean it is happy. In order to thrive, fish need space, clean water, and compatable tankmates. Platys are pretty hardy, but they still need a bit of room to swim in order to thrive.
But of course, I cannot see your fish, so I cannot say for sure that they are unhappy, I am just saying that I think they would be better off with a bit more space and the corys could use more friends in a bigger tank. If you have one of the species that stays about 2 inches, then you could get by with having just 4 in a 10g, but it still is not advisable IMO.

absolutangel04 said:
Ouch. They would probably be happier with more room. Also, corys should be in groups of at least 4, 6 is preferred and most species should be kept in a 20g minimum. IMO, you should rehome a male and a female platy and the corys.
This isn't meant to be mean, I am just saying that just because a fish is swimming and alive doesn't mean it is happy. In order to thrive, fish need space, clean water, and compatable tankmates. Platys are pretty hardy, but they still need a bit of room to swim in order to thrive.
But of course, I cannot see your fish, so I cannot say for sure that they are unhappy, I am just saying that I think they would be better off with a bit more space and the corys could use more friends in a bigger tank. If you have one of the species that stays about 2 inches, then you could get by with having just 4 in a 10g, but it still is not advisable IMO.

No worries... Your not being mean. I am new to the fish world and any info would help greatly. I will work on getting things situated in my tank.

No worries... Your not being mean. I am new to the fish world and any info would help greatly. I will work on getting things situated in my tank.
I think you will find that many of the members here had quite an adventure with their first tanks. :) It can be hard to find good info online, I certainly found lots of conflicting stuff while researching what fish to get for my first 5 gallon. Also, keep in mind that the majority of fish store employees do not know what they are talking about. There are definitely some excellent ones out there, but they tend to be fewer and farther between than many of us in the hobby would like. This site is great source with all sorts of very knowledgable people. :)

+1 A.Angel's advice.

Also, platies are constantly eating and pooing. They are a textbook case of why the inch/gallon rule breaks down: they have a much greater bioload than similarly sized fish. If it were me, I would cut down all the cories, both males, and a female, giving you 3 total platies. When you're as close to the stocking limit as you are, the last thing you need is a population explosion.

Well I just got a 55 gallon for the platies. Jus waiting for it to cycle. Now is there enough room for all my fish?

Well I just got a 55 gallon for the platies. Jus waiting for it to cycle. Now is there enough room for all my fish?
You betcha! You have room for a bunch of other fish too. I recommend getting a few more corys. They do better in groups of 4-6. 6 is preferble, but you have space for even more if you want. :)

Could I put bumble bee puffers with them as well?

From a quick search I've done I'd say no; puffers prefer a species only tank; they can become aggressive to other tank mates. Perhaps someone who actually has had them can speak better to this though. Congrats on upgrading the tank size for your fish!

I agree with librarygirl. No, puffers are not good community fish IMO at all. They are territorial and nippy-aggressive.

A few communtiy fish that should be ok with platys: mollies, rumy-nose tetras, kuhli loaches, corydoras cats, gouramis (opaline, gold, dwarf, pearl, snakeskin, honey), otos, bristle-nose plecos (plus a handful of other small pleco species), guppies, ember tetras, neons, cardinals, Pristella tetras, kerri blue tetras, banjo catfish, pencilfish, rams, keyhole cichlids, cherry barbs, and paradise fish. Just a few ideas, tey are not all compatable together and each species has a space requirement and many are schoolers who should be kept in proper groups. Anyway, its few ideas.

Well here is a update for my 55 gallon.
6 platies
7 cloud tetras
1 bala shark
1 peacock eel
5 albino Cory's

Still working on filling it in...

Attachments

• image-495596732.jpg
    image-495596732.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 50
Yes I do kno, but it was my first fish and it's hard to get rid of it... Once it gets big I'll find it a better home.

Back
Top Bottom