Platy acting weird HELP URGENT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I tried to sleep but I couldn't so I went down and checked my fish and my platy is floating. She is swimming around (she's pregnant too) but she's at the surface and we fin is above the water. I poked her gently and she won't even swim under water to get away she seemed barely bothered and just kept sitting there floating on the surface

This just started happening... All the other fish are perfectly normal. She has given birth before but never like this...

How old is the tank?
What size tank?
What else is in the tank?
What are your water parameters? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temp)
Have you added anything new to the tank recently?
Does anything about the fish look abnormal, or is it just abnormal behavior?

See if she will eat peas. If its a digestive problem that should help. But does she even eat??

The next day there was this crap that was so massive it was winding! It was the biggest platy crap I ever saw. And all the fish were back to normal lol

fort384 said:
How old is the tank?
What size tank?
What else is in the tank?
What are your water parameters? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temp)
Have you added anything new to the tank recently?
Does anything about the fish look abnormal, or is it just abnormal behavior?

The tank is about 6 months old ammonia is 0 same with nitrite and nitrate is somewhere at a safe range (didn check recently)

Anyway yeah turns out she was constipated she took a massive crap but shes fine now

The next day there was this crap that was so massive it was winding! It was the biggest platy crap I ever saw. And all the fish were back to normal lol

If you don't already I'd think about feeding your fish peas once a week or doing a one day fast. May help to not have this happen again. Poor thing must feel so much better today. lol

tamtam said:
If you don't already I'd think about feeding your fish peas once a week or doing a one day fast. May help to not have this happen again. Poor thing must feel so much better today. lol

I use algae wafers as vegetation, they love it too. Will that qualify?

Hahaha you know the massive crap is gone now? I'm scared to change my filter cartridge now :0

I use algae wafers as vegetation, they love it too. Will that qualify?

personally I do veggies still on occasion despite the wafer bits I sometimes feed and the stuff they snack on it my tank. I figure there is probably a bit more nutrition in fresh veggies but to be honest I have no idea. I just know that peas are highly recommended to help fish poop. Many people will do a 1 day fast and feed peas to help "clean out" their fish a bit.

tamtam said:
personally I do veggies still on occasion despite the wafer bits I sometimes feed and the stuff they snack on it my tank. I figure there is probably a bit more nutrition in fresh veggies but to be honest I have no idea. I just know that peas are highly recommended to help fish poop. Many people will do a 1 day fast and feed peas to help "clean out" their fish a bit.

I was gonna feed my fry lettuce but my mom said she thinks it stains the water is that true

I was gonna feed my fry lettuce but my mom said she thinks it stains the water is that true
I've never tried lettuce TBH but I can't see it staining the water. I've heard of people doing spinach with no issues. The only veggies I've heard of effecting water(unless left to break down and spike ammonia levels) is cabbage and it gives it a nasty smell. I feed broccoli, peas and carrots most often and have zero issues. I offer small bits that they can eat as they sink or if I offer a large chunk of something I remove it after a couple hours.

tamtam said:
I've never tried lettuce TBH but I can't see it staining the water. I've heard of people doing spinach with no issues. The only veggies I've heard of effecting water(unless left to break down and spike ammonia levels) is cabbage and it gives it a nasty smell. I feed broccoli, peas and carrots most often and have zero issues. I offer small bits that they can eat as they sink or if I offer a large chunk of something I remove it after a couple hours.

Very helpful thank you!

Back
Top Bottom