Platy and Guppy success, while Molly never.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkfalcon

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a problem with Molly. They can give birth and sometimes even when they're in a cramped/overstocked tank, they still can find a place to hide and then give birth. But the problem is, even if I move the fry to an empty tank (ofc with aeration and filter) they will die in the next day or 2 days or 3 days.... (and so on). Is Molly care different than Platy and Guppy despite both being livebearers? When in cramped tank, the babies will swim around coz they're being chased by other fishes. But in empty tanks, they'll just sit at the bottom of the tank, doing nothing, and the next thing you know.... They're already dead.

Please I want my baby mollies to survive. I heard they're easy but I never even once succeed and it takes longer for them to get pregnant and then give birth for me compared to guppies and platies. Any information is appreciated.

Perhaps it is transfer shock? I've only moved fry between established tanks and when older. Off-hand I haven't noticed any difference between breeding different live-bearers.

Perhaps it is transfer shock? I've only moved fry between established tanks and when older. Off-hand I haven't noticed any difference between breeding different live-bearers.

Maybe, maybe not. My first time breeding molly was moving a pregnant female golden black molly into an empty tank. Well yea there was no filter at that time so I just clean it up every 2 days, I suck the left over food from the bottom floor (bare tank) and then refill the tank. I do have the bubbler tho. Her frys didn't last long. Until all died. What I'm trying to say here is probably no filter, but not from shock. After that my seem pregnant mollies never give birth again, they just simply die while pregnant.

Now, my newest black molly, she gave birth. I moved her and her babies to an empty tank (the mother in a fruit basket/custom breeder net) while the babies inside the tank. So far I only see 1 death. The current tank has a filter and aerator.

Sounds encouraging! Hope it goes well. Are you breeding for any colours or to get more?

Nope I actually didnt plan to breed mollies but it just sort of happen xD (its because my guppies are not that big yet to be given to someone else or sell).

But what do u mean by breeding for any colours?? I can cross breed different colours?

Sent from my vivo Y28 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh I just wondered if you were breeding anything in particular.

I've never really gotten into it but will sometimes pick males of all one colour and females of another to try out. Lately my preference has been for schools all of the same colour.

Oic. I also want to try that. But idk the colors and types of mollies. All I know is that I have 1 black molly (f), 1 yellow molly with black dots (f), 1 sail fin molly (m), and another molly (f)

Sent from my vivo Y28 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh yeah I need help with that molly at the end of the video. After her first time giving birth in my house, she always try to swim away (escape) from the male molly and hide behind the filter or any hiding place. As a result, the female black molly seems to be pregnant again while she is not..... Is there a way to fix this problem????

Back
Top Bottom