Platy 'cleaning' my angelfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rnbwfimmy

Aquarium Advice Activist
One of my platy keeps moseying on up to my new angelfish and like pecking at him, almost as though he's cleaning him. The platy doesn't chase him like a nipping behavior and the angel just submits and doesn't swim away. What the hell?

If its a male platy and there are not enough females for him he could very well be trying to mate with the angel fish I've observed this behaviour with my male Molly when my female died he wouldn't leave my angel alone I realized after a while he was trying to mate the angel fish :/ very odd haha.

Oh dear, yeah, the store gave me more males than I asked for. Everyone is pregnant. Maybe when the fry get big the gender ratio will balance out

That's what I had to do with mine it will eventually even out usually platys give birth to more females than males so you shouldn't have to wait long!

Yeah I actually have one who looks like she's almost ready to drop fry and one who I witnesses mating with a plucky little male the other day and already looks gravid. That male has some sort of head deformity though, which I hope isn't genetic, I don't want to be overrun with squished head babys

Back
Top Bottom