Platy Companions in a Larger Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
It's only been two and a half months since I stepped into the world of aquaria. I currently have a 10 gallon tank with a few Platies. It is time I upgraded the size of my tank. Trust me when I say it's been a long time. I've been to the LFS so many times and almost bought a bigger tank every time. I was thinking of getting a 55 gallon tank. I really like Platies and wanted to get a few more, but I was curious as to what other fish you would recommend.

There are a few starting points. I don't want Mollies or Swordtails as they are quite similar in appearance, at least in my head. I was thinking of Cories for bottom dwellers. Other than that, what do you guys recommend?

Also, if there are any pointers for going to a larger tank, that'd be appreciated. I know it should be easier to maintain a steady tank with larger volume, but are there any things that might be harder?

A whole lot of fish will work. Angels, Rams, other dwarf cichlids, tetras, rainbows, the list will go on and on. Go see what is available in your area and what you like and come back and ask about them.

The biggest pain with a larger tank is doing water changes. A python would be a very good investment if you make the decision to upgrade.

The only thing I can suggest is that you go as big as you can afford. I had a 10 then a 20 and now a 55.... I always want bigger.... I with I had bigger.... If you have any gut feeling bout getting bigger than 55 i would go for it.

One other thing would be plants and lighting it would be harder to propperly light a deeper tank. Well not harder but more expensive....

Hope this helps....

Doug

Yeah i have that problem with light.
I have 2 40W Fluro bulbs and they tank just seems dull.
Water is very clear but the tank is 120G and 2" deep.

That's the next investment, some nice bright lighting!

rich311k said:
A whole lot of fish will work. Angels, Rams, other dwarf cichlids, tetras, rainbows, the list will go on and on. Go see what is available in your area and what you like and come back and ask about them.

The biggest pain with a larger tank is doing water changes. A python would be a very good investment if you make the decision to upgrade.

While I'm not sure exactly which ones, I've become familiar with all those, because they are in the LFS. Dwarf Cichlids aren't territorial? Are Dwarf Gouarmi's wasy to care for?

I've seen a python work, but I don't think I have a faucet I can hook it up to here at home. I'm not positive since I've only glanced at the end of it. Can someone explain it to me?

Pythons are great. Most faucets have threads on them, and the python screws onto those threads. If you can't see threads, then you probably have a cap screwed onto the faucet, remove it to hook up the python. The python uses the venturi principle at the faucet end to create a vaccuum for emptying the tank or cleaning the gravel, and can be used to fill it back up too.

I'll check out my faucets and see whether I can remove the cap.

Now, back to the original question at hand. I was thinking of some Guppies, which I don't see as a problem, Cories for the bottom, and Dwarf Gouramis if they are compatible. Everything I'm reading says they shouldn't be a problem to the other fish. Will any of the other fish be a problem to them?

From my experience, platy, cory, otto cats are very peaceful. Gouramis is a little aggressive compared to them. Even molly are aggressive in my view as my molly chases platy and other molly a lot. Guppy and tetras should be ok. Angels, Rams and dwarf cichlids are relatively very aggressive.

Zebra danio is a good and very active fish. They are very peaceful to other fishes, but they may chase each other among themselves (I find this is their playing and won't get stressed).

After the new tank set up for several months and when you encounter algae problem, you may add 3 or more otto cats.

Back
Top Bottom